Jambands.ca

Sirius listeners only please...

bouche

I'm curious how you guys listen to Sirius radio.

We have a car kit, but my deck doesn't have an input. I think that's my very next purchase. A deck that will take the Sirius and the iPod.

Anyway, we have it playing through the stereo, and I rarely put on CD's in the living area anymore. When it's listening time (like preparing dinner), I put it on.

Now, what station you might ask?

We've always just kept it on JamOn. But, you know what? It got OLD! They don't add too much new. Phish hour every night from 7-8 could be a different show. I haven't heard anything from The Slip! I think Sirius actually is responsible for my nausea of Keller Williams.

There is a channel that is mixing things up quite alot for me. I just hope it doesn't get too old too quick. It's called Left of Center. It's basically what you'd normally catergorize as Indie Rock.

Thom Yorke just finished a tune, so I don't know how Indie he is, but it's a great station.

I can't wait to get it into the car for a road trip though and enjoy the comedy station. Comedy is INCREDIBLE for road trips.

OK, so what are your favourite stations?

(We'll probably get Jam On back playing here and there. It is good, but it can't be exclusive)

well ther eare other ways you can do it also, that to a guy at a car sterio shop, i know there is a cheep device that splices into the factory speaker wires, and by passes the sterio for things like ipods and sat radios.

i've used one before when all the in's on my deck were being used.

also. if you gonna buy a new deck alot fo them come with ipod interfaces built in, like the one i hace actually displays the ipod, on a touch screen so you can scrool threw the music by song, artist, genre, and play list. It also comes with sat raido built in, so you wouldn't have to plug and thing in.

most car radio's have built in sat radio, and some of then are even starting to take memory cards so you can have music that way too

its pretty cool, its made by apline.

we've had Sirius since late Dec, 2005. got it for howard and have really enjoyed having him in his new format. well worth the costs, just for him alone. we subbed thru sir-us, originally just to ensure access to howard (but now available on sir-can). though, sir-can still seems to be much slower to do everything than sir-us (equipment, units, features, etc.).

LOTS of really good music! that was kinda the expected, but surprizingly impressive, bonus for now having to pay for howard. my fav's are 26 - Left of Center (alternative, college type stuff with artists like sufjan stevens, lily ally, feist); 22 - First Wave (new wave from the 80s like duran duran, depeche mode); 17 - Jam On (phish, dead, moe) and 70 to 73 - various jazz channels. yeah, i agree, playlists are a bit repetitive in the short term, but they do switch up over time. i found that used to bother me, but I quickly discovered that a good song I actually like is only one, maybe two, pre-sets away. its NOTHING like regular radio where you spend more time looking for tunes, than listening to them. i never listen to regular radio anymore. and playing CDs in the car less often too. a really cool feature as well is that most of these stations also have regular, weekly live broadcasts, which are fun to listen to at home in the evening.

the gear - we have two Sportster Replay plug'n'play's, each with a car base, and one additional home base inside. the Sportster Replays have one of the best built-in FM-transmitters, so we just transmit to 88.1 and tune the FM tuner in the car to that and listen thru the original car stereo. the antennna cable is tucked under trim and set on the back dash. works great. never had a problem.

inside the house, the base is 1/8"/RCA wired into the stereo, using the supplied cable. mostly we listen thru the main stereo, but various small FM radios around the house are just tuned to 88.1 and they works great too. the biggest issue at home is the antenna. the supplied antenna is generally not strong enough, so you should consider getting the outdoor (terk sir-6) antenna. trees, buildings, roofs DO block the signal, so consider that as well when "placing". overall, none of it is hugely high-tech (mini-jacks, uses FM transmission, etc.) which was actually a cause for some concerns re: quality of sound, but it has not been a problem at all. it actually sounds quite decent.

we can also listen to it all online, at work, etc. one online connection per subscription, via pswd streaming. overall, getting all the gear set up was a bit of a hassle and a real learning experience (especially antennas), but its been well worth it.

also. if you gonna buy a new deck alot fo them come with ipod interfaces built in, like the one i hace actually displays the ipod, on a touch screen so you can scrool threw the music by song, artist, genre, and play list. It also comes with sat raido built in, so you wouldn't have to plug and thing in.

most car radio's have built in sat radio, and some of then are even starting to take memory cards so you can have music that way too

its pretty cool, its made by apline.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. It may be sooner than I think too.

@Phistaper....That's some great tips. I've got to definately setup some presets for fucksakes. I don't have any setup! That's probably the issue here.

Edited by Guest

another thing to consider is that if you do get a car deck with Sat built-in, your subscription will be tied to that unit only. you would then have to get a second unit and pay for a second subscription to be able to listen in the house (assuming your car deck stays in the car).

we survived quite well on one plug'n'play unit for a while - taking it in and out of the car and paying for just one subscription. we only got the second unit because of the two cars - ie., so we both can listen to it in both cars.

for sure, directly integrated/wired units are better than ones that rely on FM transmission, but they also require additional units / subscriptions to listen elsewhere.

I bought the S50 from the states, and I have the home deck and the car adapter. I LOVE it. The S50 is great because I can tape stuff (like Phish hour, a specific song, or whole shows that they play like Ratdog and Panic). I predominately listen to Jam On but if there is a song that ive heard a million times already then I'll throw on Planet Jazz, the Vault, Classic Vinyl, Coffee House, Left of Centre or a comedy channel. There is a lot of choice of very different channels and there is always something good playing.

I love the Sirius radio. Fantastic in the workplace. I get my Jams, and classic rock, and with one click I keep the metalheads happy, or entice others back to work with some Outlaw Country. I have been warned that any more Buffet will result in a full workplce revolt.

I also like Faction, Spectrum, Planet Jazz.