Jambands.ca

Zero's Big Day (ACCEPTANCE)

zero

I don't really know how to adequitely get into it because a lot of it is community specific in terms of operators in culture and politics in Guelph and my role (cultural protagonist/antagonist in Guelph). Basically there was a large funding announcement for a mental health initiative in Guelph and George Smitherman the Health Minister was up. I was there as a person in the community affected by mental health and a volunteer speaker on the topic/journalist. Did a four person scrum (Smitherman, press secretary, Mercury, Echo) with Smitherman and pulled really candid stuff out on tape about his OWN struggles with addiction and mental health. Now the McGuinty liberals are smearing Cheri DiNovo in the Parkdale-High Park riding which someone else could tell you is sort of a symbolic seat. So the health minister's talking about tipping the elbow while the premier is talking about chick who used to sell acid as a street punk.

Anyways the Mercury lady flipped the table on me and started interviewing the interviewer. It's on the cover of the Guelph Mercury today and big quotes from me given the size of the article. A series of other things happened around the announcement mainly dialoging with the MPP, MP,the new Liberal MP nominee, the NDP candidate, Mayor, city councillors, executive directors in the mental health community etc. All talking very candidly about how hard they've worked (in almost all cases because of a familial connection) and how it "pays to believe".

This is really hard to explain but basically the stigmatism of mental illness is really very painful and robs you of your pride and decency. I am discriminated against even though I am a white upper class Upper Canadian male. It hurts and sucks and speaking about it makes it better (but it still hurts and sucks).

THEN I flip hats and go to Land of Talk, Shout Out Out Out and Holy Fuck. Great shows by all, Holy Fuck closed and killed BUT the SHOUTS played a BETTER show. THEY ARE DICE>>>. Great times had by all, great comraderie and kung was surprisingly professional. THEN I had to apologize to Sam Bajial for the Wooden Gun at Hillside (he books the University's shows during the school year at Peter Clark Hall). He's seriously one of my heroes and mentors and like the artistic version of Michael Cohl or something in Canada in a weird way. He certainly makes or breaks a lot of careers. THEN he apologizes to me (so fuck right the fuck off guelphstudent -won't see you next year cause I'll be backstage beeyoch- you know the smelly guy with man boobs and a wooden gun). He was really upset by the whole thing and didn't get it and was blown away sort of. I needed to apologize and it was appropriate but he did too. Oh and the Hillside artistic committee is "at large" meaning I am a member at large. Oh and The Slip is playing Hillside next year on my recommendation. Sam confided (operative word) a lot of other stuff as many had that day knowing full well I could use it all journalistically which was sort of the point.

In a single fell swoop all of my hard work paid off and Guelph seemingly, finally, accepted me.

Because I accepted myself.

Great post. Made the paper, made amends, told someone to eat it, and likely got me and ms.hux to see The Slip!

Luke Bowden, who was at the minister's announcement, said the event was largely symbolic, recognizing "there's nothing to be ashamed of," he said.

Bowden, 30, was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when he was 22. He's a volunteer speaker with Beautiful Minds, whoch sends those with mental health disorders to schools to talk about their experiences. It's funded in part by the Community Mental Health Clinic.

"There's an irony in the fact that I'm more candid with strangers than I am with my loved ones and that reflects how deeply stigmatized and self-stigmatized," society is, he said.

"There's a candour in the room today that I'm suggesting is new. Mental illness is real old."

Edited by Guest

Well said bouche. I'm not trying to turn this into the kung show it was just a really special experience and I've gone through a sea change and it will undoubtedly benefit our culture irrevocably and for the better. Keep the Slip thing under wraps although I've already broadcast it because it wasn't that he was saying booked, just looking me in the eyes deep and saying 'I'll take that recommendation' (the look said 'booked').