Jambands.ca

Rogers Internet service is watching what you do.

timouse

One of my co-workers received an e-mail from Rogers telling him that he was violating their terms of service through his use of BitTorrent to share a video game. The e-mail contained a copy of a letter from the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) addressed to Rogers.

The letter basically said that one of Rogers' customers was violating an ESA member's intellectual property rights, and requested that Rogers

"notify the account holder of the infringing material, remove or disable access to the infringing material, and take action against the account holder under your abuse policy/terms of service."

eeeh.

as a rabid bittorrenter, i'm wondering how long it will be until the RIAA starts sending letters like this to Oink folk :P

I believe this could be more the result of a "torrent spy" then Rogers spying on what exactly your doing. I can't remember exactly what the term/program is called, but its somthing along those lines. Basically, you'll find these on movie torrents, the more recent the movie the more likely. It gathers info disguised as a leech on other leeches (just IP I assume) which then get brought to the attention of the ISP and then they spy on what your doing.

I'll try to find the article I read about this, although it was around the time when all those US folks got busted over the Star Wars movie hitting the web hours before it opened at theaters so it may be hard to dig up.

Use uTorrent and turn encryption on. Any and all internet providers can and most likely do check what you do on the internet. They use packet sniffers (look up ethereal in google and you can try yourself, just open some webpages and then look at all the packets it sniffs, you'll see your passwords and the things you search for, etc).

The ISP's are programmed to check for certain packet headers which identify the packet as belonging to torrents. If you use the encryption option, it changes the header to something else (like a webpage type header) and therefore is not monitored.

That said, downloading is illegal and games will consume mucho time that could be dedicated to music...

Also, as Marco Alabama Man (I think that's who said it) said above, with torrents they hire a person to just grab the ip's of the other leechers and seeders and then just rat them out and there's not much you can do about that.

Edited by Guest

I've just recently switched to uTorrent. I like it. I have to readjust some settings though, as I'm having a bit of a prob port forwarding this time for some reason. I'll be sure to turn on the encryption.

Me too. I'd been using Azureus for a while but uTorrent takes up way less resources. Another thumbs up from me.

A few tips to increase your speeds, aside from the obvious (port forwarding/triggering etc)

I accessed my TCP connection settings and reset them to 50 (you can go as high as 100 but its high risk), by default your TCP connections are limited to a maximum of 10 which can restrict speeds.(by not connecting to more peers)

This patch will help access those settings. Be sure to read up on what exactly your doing so you'll know how much to actually open.

http://lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads

*note: After any windows updates this gets reset to default (10 TCP connections) so' you'll have to check this after an update.

Then configure your bittorrent client to allow 50 TCP connections. With utorrent its >> Options > Preferences > Advanced options > net.max_halfopen

I also use custom fireware for my router (Linksys WRTG54) which was designed for bittorrent.

Since switching to Utorrent in may this year I have upped 250+ GB & downloaded 170 GB & my speeds have increased considerably (Utorrent+firware+TCP settings is the reason) and my ISP hasn't even batted an eye at me, which is good after already being throttled two years back.

one more thing on top of that is that if you notice that when you run torrents at full speed, you might notice that your internet slows down like mad. To fix this, play with the upload speed until it works (I have mine set at 26kbs, anything more kills the internet but that is just fine). Not sure where it is in uTorrent...