Jambands.ca

Writer for Echo and View Plagiarization Accusation

Deeps

Echo pinches from allmusic.com.

View repeats pinch from allmusic.

Interesting.

The Echo and View are owned by the same company Echo being Guelph's music weekly and View being Hamilton's.

A friend has told of some rather shady inner workingsover at the Echo, that prompted her quitting.

They completely botched an article on WTTS a while ago by printing a pic they picked up from a google image search that showed 3 people despite the second line of the article referring to a 4piece band. Now this! ... pretty shitty given that Guelph doesn't have many other entertainment publication options.

In fairness, Deeps, it isn't these magazines that have done the plagiarizing, it's the one particular writer in general. Like it says in the second link there, in the Hamilton discussion, the editor takes the articles in good faith. These are small publications and they don't employ fact checkers.

That said, the guy should be canned and an apology printed. It remains to be seen if that will happen.

This has been happening at VIEW for quite some time now. I noticed a problem months ago when I read a story that I had already received from a different news source. I cross referenced the two and the VIEW story definitely wasn't legit. It really sucks because I know the person that supposedly wrote it and I wouldn’t have expected it from them.

Writers are notoriously lazy... I've had full press releases that I've written printed with credit to a staff writer.. which is fine by me...because I get my message out there.

I find writers do a lot of cut and pasting from other people's work, and for the sake of promoting a band I'm fine with it.. however good journalism is always appreciated.

j