Jambands.ca

Purple be gone: Raps unveil new uniforms

Basher

Raptors Unveil Changes to Team Uniform

060927_raptors_bargnani_200.jpg

With the start of Raptors training camp less than a week away, players and coaching staff unveiled changes to the team’s jersey Wednesday at the annual Toronto Raptors Charity Golf Classic. The unveiling marked the official transition to the team’s new primary colours - red and white.

"As Canada’s basketball team, it is important to have both a home and road uniform with a strong, distinct Canadian look that complemented one another," said Beth Robertson, vice-president of marketing at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment. "The popularity of the team's red road uniform, combined with feedback from Raptors fans and players supported our decision to make this change."

In 2003, the Raptors introduced an alternate road jersey that emphasized the Raptors’ pride in being Canada’s team. The alternate road jersey grew quickly in popularity with basketball fans, outselling Raptors jerseys in the team’s original Raptors colours.

Other noticeable changes to the Raptors uniform include the addition of red trim on the white home jerseys and the popular Raptors claw replacing the TR logo. The new Raptors jersey will be exclusively sold at CentreSports at Air Canada Centre until October 13.

The Toronto Raptors play their first preseason game in Washington on Monday, October 9. Their first home preseason game comes Wednesday, October 11 when the Boston Celtics come calling at Air Canada Centre. The team opens the regular season November 1 in New Jersey before hosting Milwaukee two nights later in the home-opener.

Single tickets for the Raptors 2006-07 season go on sale in mid-October.

team_334_golf.jpg

Let's hope that the removal of the purple also removes the irony of the Raptors never winning yet spending a fortune to do so all in the name of "the never ending rebuild".

The gotta make the playoffs this year or move the team! Seriously!

The team is 11 years old - never winning is a bit harsh.

Move the team? Put the bong down dude. The team ranks high in the league in attendance, and is top 5 in season ticket renewal rate.

How in the hell would moving the team have an impact on making the playoffs and vice versa?

Also, this is a salary cap league - EVERY team that does not make the playoffs has "not won" and "spent a fortune to do so".

Ok Ok I'm just bitter. All I'm saying is that the Raptor's have made it to the playoffs once! In 11 years, that's unnaceptable.

And I would hazzard a guess that other teams that put out $$$$ didn't have nearly the brutal record we did.

Point is they need to get to the playoffs this year, as I get the sense less and less folks in the T-dot care of have hope for this team, given thier history of disatrous trades.

And if they don't start winning those precious attendance numbers will crumble like Olajuwan's fragile knees right after we cut him a cheque!

No one wants to pay to see a team lose forever!

Edited by Guest

And I would hazzard a guess that other teams that put out $$$$ didn't have nearly the brutal record we did.

Well, the following teams did exactly that last year:

New York Knicks - WAY bigger payroll - think they are moving that team?

Portland Jailblazers - worse record and one of the biggest spenders in the league.

Ok Ok I'm just bitter. All I'm saying is that the Raptor's have made it to the playoffs once! In 11 years, that's unnaceptable.

The Raptors made the playoffs in 99-00, 00-01 and 01-02.

Unless you count 1, 1, 1 that is 3 times in 11 years. Better than MANY MANY NBA franchises.

You quickly forgot the years that Raps were bounced in the first round - wanna know why? Because they had no chance of actually winning anything those years. That is why this whole "make the playoffs or else" thing makes no sense. I want the Raptors to WIN in the playoffs, and that most likely will not happen this year with a new and young team.

I'm okay with that.

It would be nice to make the playoffs this year and in the wide open east, if a lot of things go right for the Raps the playoffs is a realistic goal. However, I would be quite happy if we were just competitive and won more games than last year. That would be a success as well.

Its gonna be an interesting team this year...

Ok Ok I'm just bitter. All I'm saying is that the Raptor's have made it to the playoffs once! In 11 years' date=' that's unnaceptable.[/quote']

The Raptors made the playoffs in 99-00, 00-01 and 01-02.

Unless you count 1, 1, 1 that is 3 times in 11 years. Better than MANY MANY NBA franchises.

You quickly forgot the years that Raps were bounced in the first round - wanna know why? Because they had no chance of actually winning anything those years. That is why this whole "make the playoffs or else" thing makes no sense. I want the Raptors to WIN in the playoffs, and that most likely will not happen this year with a new and young team.

I'm okay with that.

You are so right I forgot they got bounced in the first round all those times. I guess like you to me getting bounced in the first round doesn't really count or excite me. I guess what I should have said is they only made it out of the first round once. I beleive that is correct.

Anyway, point is I'm tired of the bad decisions and terrible management and the constant "rebuild". The Raptors need to put up or shut up this year, the fans desreve a winning team. NOw.

I think real problem is Richard Pettite. That guys knows nothing of basketball.

I guess we can all agree we want them to win.

I'm not bitchin' about Coangelo. He hasn't had egnough time to prove his worth yet. Agreed.

I am saying that the organization as a whole needs to deliever this season to a, real/tangable result. Meaning, getting out of the first round of the playoffs. It's waaaay overdue.

And if anyone even mutters the word "rebuild" this season, I'm calling up the JYD and me and him will go and beat Richard Pettite with a $10 footlong hotdog from the ACC!

jyd_59974.jpg

Edited by Guest

Did somone say Atlanta Hawks fans???? Is there any more tortured basketball fans than us? This may very well be the reason I don't watch basketball anymore. My heart was broken, no, ripped to shreds, when the Hawks traded Dominique for that no good bum Danny Manning, right at the deadline, in a year where they were really playing well as a team(even Nique was passing the ball) and on their way to the playoffs. Since that moment they have been absolutely terrible and not had a glimmer of hope even with all the lottery picks.

#21 4LIFE (this almost brought a tear to my eye writing this)

I just picked up two tickets to the Red and White game down here in Waterloo next Saturday, which should be fun. Actually, the entire outing will be a complete success if I get to meet Chuck Swirski. Oh man, how I cant wait to meet Chuck. He reminds me of Steve Carrells character on "The Office." If all goes well Ill be very drunk at the time too and will provide y'all with a detailed report.

Ya, he knows his sports, there's no denying that. Your also right about his interviews, sometimes they're just plain painful. I dont see him getting much better though, he's been doing this for years.

I was thinking about bringing a Chuck Swirski banner to the game. If all goes well I'll get him to sign it, then Im gonna invite him to MC my wedding. No joke.

Too funny. At least she can hold a conversation though. Which is why Chuck is so entertaining, cuz in the middle of one of Barbs rants Chuck will make a completely random connection to something she had just said and inturrupt with something like, "Did you go to the Red Hot Chilli Peppers concert last night?," and Barb will be caught completely off guard, realize who shes talking too and humour him. Wow, I pay way too much attention to inane chatter.

Ya, I dont mind Hogan so much, he seems to know a little about what hes talking about, is unobtrusive for the most part. Spends wayyyy too much time on the CFL IMO, but I guess its good for the league to have someone talking about it.

What channell is Romes show? I probably wouldnt get it anyway if its coming from the states, my antenna sucks.

Hey, have you noticed Bill Hayes went to q107 in the morning with Derrenger? What happened to Roscoe?