born-ruffians-web.jpg

Tuesday, October 3rd

7:30pm sharp! 

@ The Pepper Jack Cafe

38 King William St. (905)525-6666

www.pepperjackcafe.com

Advance tickets $10

Beirut: Gulag Orkestar

While it may sound like an entire Balkan gypsy orchestra playing modern songs as mournful ballads and upbeat marches, Beirut's first album, Gulag Orkestar, is largely the work of one 20-year-old Albuquerque native, Zach Condon, with assistance by Jeremy Barnes (Neutral Milk Hotel, A Hawk and a Hacksaw) and Heather Trost (A Hawk and a Hacksaw). Horns, violins, cellos, ukuleles, mandolins, glockenspiels, drums, tambourines, congas, organs, pianos, clarinets and accordions (no guitars on this album!) all build and break the melodies under Condon's deep-voiced crooner vocals, swaying to the Eastern European beats like a drunken 12-member ensemble that has fallen in love with The Magnetic Fields, Talking Heads and Neutral Milk Hotel

http://www.beirutband.com/

Born Ruffians aim to take the rough out of ruffians. Primarily because it wasnt there in the first place, but also because it just aint their style. Luke Lalonde, Steve Hamelin and Mitch DeRosier are Born Ruffians, but thankfully for their audience, are currently tame. With electric guitar, electric bass guitar, a set of drums and the occasional interjection from a trombone, keyboard, shlang dang or jazz flute, their music is tightly knit into a rock and roll top hat, from which they pull out a dancing, indie rabbit (def: indie rabbit: n. A small furry, long-eared animal with cred and an angular haircut and/or sweater vest).

http://www.bornruffians.com/

Fuck M I am so glad to hear you dig Born Ruffians. I have this new good buddy Ferenc 'Fez' Stenton who goes by Green Go when playing music. He knows them from Midland and is always going on about them, praise I don't take lightly. Fez is also in this live jungle group The Architects, they played at WEMF.

zero -

yup, love 'em. they are effin witty guys to boot.

luke (from BR) also has some pretty cool solo stuff that he writes under the moniker "skeleton (me)"

kc - yeah i think they are doing a US tour w/ Hot Chip ... and just got a pretty sweet NME review this past summer

Little known fact. (Some Mexican kid told me in San Blas, Mexico)

The term "Gringo" came from the Latin Americans wanting American soldiers to leave mexico and central america. The colour of their uniforms were green, thus green go>gringo.

You've got to meet this kid Ferenc Stenton (Green Go) he comes out of the same creative hotbed (Midland) and to my mind is going many of the same places. Ridiculously talented musician.

Hah I'll have to let our guitar player know that his much left behind hometown, where he reportedly was cheers'd to the tune of "here's to beers and no queers!" by an old classmate, is in fact a creative hotbed.

Deeps