Jambands.ca

The Wire (HBO Dopest Show Ever!!!)

zero

How has no one talked about the Wire around here. My friend Jer tipped me to it and I am hooked like crack. Funny cause I'm a big fan of Six Feet Under, Sopranos and lots of long form television. I tell people it's like Sopranos for the Baltimore Black Crack Trade. It follows all the levels of politics in the police department- chain of command. The political lobbyists, lawyers, councillors, senators- the whores. Then all the levels of the coke trade from importing, to chunks of territory, lieutenants, soldiers- the grind. Everyone has got a tax to pay seems to be the moral. Or, everyone has to get their grind on. Both really.

Seriously I started with the whole third season - which is sort of the downfall of the Barksdale crew. Now I'm watching the second - all about the docks and smuggling rackets. They have like an off site 'wire' detail that runs sophisticated surveillance. The characters are so fucking dope and you get so involved- Stringer Bell, Avon, Omar, McNalty, Herc, Rawls, Burrell... on and on. It's like better than the Sopranos at least in terms of scope and really intense characterizations of believable tales of corruption.

This is the best show ever. Better than Deadwood. You really should have started with the first season though. The show runs in a format in which one "episode" takes an entire season. Not to mention Tom Waits "Down in the Hole" is the theme song. The characters are interesting and complex, but at the same time it is funny. Since September I've watched all three seasons on dvd, and now wish I had cable to watch season 4.

I've been watching this show for some time now and IT IS THE FUCKING SHIT!!! Deadwood and The Wire are the most balls out, hardcore, kick shit shows that tele has aired. Luke you Silly Fuck, you should have started from the beginning! The story is so fucking good all the way through and the climax in season 3 (Avon & Skinner climax) is crazy!!!

Watch this show Y'all

GG

Where the fuck have you been Giggles?

Seriously think about it though- as far as I can tell the first and third seasons run sort of continuous and the second (while it has a lot of expository stuff) really focuses on the docks. You could almost watch the first then third and get most of it (I haven't seen the first but I gather). I'm kind of going Christopher Nolan Memento on this shit. I just saw the third season and I've done that before with like Sex and the City and Six Feet Under - watching the later seasons first. It's really cool actually.

Fucking Omar. Man that rip and run mother fuck is the shit. That boy gets his grind on (if you know what I mean- he really gets his grind on in that sense). That bit in the second season with him in court testifying against Bird is the shit. Seeing it backwards is kind of like going back to the old country in Godfather II.

I've watched the front, back and centre! Your right, you could watch the first and third and get that whole story no problem. Makes me really appreciate the writing as one has sooooo much to be involved in...second season is sorta like an amazing break from the main theme of all of Avon's shit. And Omar is UNREAL. My favourite character for sure! The shit when the fuck up trying to take him out and get his Granny's hat...and Avon knowing the rules and letting everything take place that need to. Thug Love...

GG

I know I'm glad you dig Omar. I presume he's meant to be like the central sort of anti-hero- he has a lot of sympatico qualities sort of what they call mensche in yiddish. But where did they cast that guy? I presume that's a real fugging scar across his face.

What I love is that they'll make references to little things that happened in previous seasons. Not in a totally obvious way just within the conversation naturally. That is something you probably miss going backwards through the seasons.

Best line from season 2:

Bunk walks up to the dock and sees McNulty in the police boat.

Bunk:The girls are always telling me about the little man in the boat. Now I know what they mean.

Yeah Booche if I know you the way I think I do youwill be all over this. You'll be talking about your territory and how you've been fair, too fair. How territory ain't shit and how it's all about product. How if Proposition Joe comes to you with something you best not fuck up the G pack. You know what I mean about fucking up a G pack.

• 1 year later...