Jambands.ca

Who the hell is Acres?

bouche

I just got hit with this email somehow (one of them email harvests I assume). I haven't heard of these guys and I don't know who Matt Corbiere is. The only Matt I know is Matt on the board.

Hey all,

Acres is playing a gig this coming Wednesday supporting My Dad vs. Yours. Here are the deets:

My Dad vs. Yours

Acres

Books on Books

Wednesday November 8, 2006

Babylon Nightclub, 317 Bank Street, Ottawa

19+ / $6 / 8PM

We'll be going on around 10:00.

Hope to see you there. Attached is an awesome poster that was made for the show.

Thanks,

Matt Corbiere

They were originally scheduled to play at THAT PLACE on Canada Day, but cancelled. I saw them back in August at Dekcuf, when they opened for Elbeejay. I know Pablo Sanchez likes them a lot, but I wasn't really hot on the set of theirs that I saw. Their music is on the loud/aggressive side.

There are a few songs on

http://www.myspace.com/acresband

and their Aug. 19 Dekcuf show is available in MP3 form from

http://mockingmusic.blogspot.com/2006/08/acres-could-get-as-big-as-their.html

which claims

Along with Black Actors, Acres are Ottawa's most exciting new band. The three-piece outfit melds post-rock, math rock and indie elements into a tight and energetic package.

I'd be cool with seeing them on a bill with another band I was aiming to see, as I'd like to give them another chance and see if their music grows on me.

Aloha,

Brad

Hey Mike

Matt Corbiere is a very good friend of Dave and I. Acres has only played a handful of shows but they already have some really exciting stuff happening and a upcoming record that may very soon be on an indie label.

The music is everything mentioned above, sometimes loud and aggressive, angular, driven with melancholic leanings...

The three are all excellent musicians.

I could say more but you should probably just check them out.

Come to think of it Mike, you might have met Matt at the store. Or the last Ottawa slip show?