Jambands.ca

IPOD help

MoMack

I fucked something up. I let iTunes install the latest iTunes and iPod software. Then it said by iPod was corrupted and unable to update.

Specifically the file ipodcontrol/itunes/itunescontrol was corrupted.

I tried moving it. I tried running chkdsk. I tried going through the iPod help shite. Nothing seems to be working.

Anyone know how to either a) fix it. Or B) what program I can use to take the music from the iPod back to the computer (different computer now then when I got the iPod) so that I can do a "restore" and start from scratch?

For the time being the iPod does play - I just can't add music to it, and I don't have a lot on there right now.

Thanks for any advice.

or you could find an apple service depot and talk to them about it.

at very least they should be able to whack it & reformat it for you.

failing that, there's open source software called rockbox that will run on an ipod.

i've been contemplating it, but have not yet tried it for fear of messing something up. but if you're already at that stage, maybe you have less to lose :P

failing that, there's open source software called rockbox that will run on an ipod.

i've been contemplating it, but have not yet tried it for fear of messing something up. but if you're already at that stage, maybe you have less to lose :P

I have had rockbox installed since I bought my IPOD. I didn't even LOOK at the software/layout it had to offer when I opened the box. You can boot into rockbox OR you can boot into the standard IPOD OS. It is simple to instal and you can back up the original file system easily in case you ever want to put it back to it's original state. It will then play flac files, and simply show up on your computer as another drive, allowing you to drag and drop your own folders/files onto it and arrange the tunes how you want it. iTunes isn't needed with it...which I love b/c that software is not compatible with my patience....try it, you'll love it.

Oh, and you can install many different skins, and there are a BUNCH of different audio settings (replaygain being one of the best)....go for it.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/29657

thats a link to the program I got. Its called PodUtil I think... seems to work, but only does 50 songs at a time on the shareware. There is a pop-up and then it continues.

I also had a friend tell me (afterwards) that you can do it through windows explorer. You just have to attach the IPOD in disk mode, open winexplore go to the right drive and display hidden files. Its all there.... haven't tried myself - seems simiple though!