Jambands.ca

Where are the good Ottawa open jams

Niplit

I'm just wondering if anyone has been to any of the open JAMS (not open mics) in Ottawa. As a drummer, it's a little difficult to get up on stage and just bust out solo stuff. I have some hand drums, but would love to just show up with some sticks and have a chance to sit and play. Hit me with some knowledge.

I was gonna say :) - though with an eye to what you'd said above, Niplit. What we've got in Manotick is relatively low-key (no kit, just hand drums, and a predilection for acoustic instruments), but by all means, do make it to one of these some Saturday night; I've kept the structure fairly loose, and musically, pretty much anything can happen.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to be flogged with an organic carrot.....or do I? Thanks for the heads up. I've searched pretty hard online and know about Irene's Thurs and Saturday (is it a set crew, or can I sit in too?), Rainbow thrice weekly (is Saturday better than Sunday or Tuesday? and a number of others at the Royal Oak (Monday at one, Thursday at another), the Thirsty Toad Mondays (more of an 'open mic' for bands), etc. What I'd really like, is a place where there's a rotating group of musicians, and just a constant jam session going, with no set arrangments, and just a ton of improvisation...maybe it's wishful thinking. But if anyone knows of something like THAT, that would be sweet.

Irene's- just show up on Thur. tell the sound man you want to sit in on drums -he will hook you up. Sat. is open mike at Irene's. Rainbow is best on Sat. for breaking the ice. Starts early afternoon. Sun. local blues peeps take over. These are just blues jams so beware. Tues. is some very talented folks -Frank James I believe. There's where you will find improvation.