Jambands.ca

Willie Nelson - Songbird

NewRider

Has anyone heard this whole album yet? I read a review that said this is the first Willie album you can tell his voice is going and Ryan Adams is a shitty producer. The tiny little bit I've heard is okay, nothing spectacular.

I love Willie and Ryan so I'll probably end up grabbing it, just wondering if there's any opinions out there on this record.

we own this CD.

well, his voice is remarkably fine for a 70-year old (or thereabouts) man and Ryan Adams' production is mostly spot-on, save for an unnecessary reliance on "gospel" style background vocals.

Having said that, my opinion is that the CD is ok. Let's give it a good 7/10. It could have been better, but it could have been worse.

Funny, I don't really like Fleetwood Mac but this version of "Songbird" is stellar. On the other hand, I adore Hunter/Garcia and the Dead but Willie/Ryan's version of "Stella Blue" leaves me a bit cold here.

It's a fine record and nothing either Willie or Ryan should be ashamed of. TimmyB thinks it's Willie's best record since "Teatro" but I don't really know that album well enough to be a fair judge of that.

i dont own the CD, so can't comment on it. but, i did go to see him at Copps in Hamilton back in the spring. it was one of those "he's a legend and we should make a point of seeing him before ... " things. was a really fun show. he sure has written a lot of huge songs. I did get the other album poster, though. :)

6872779.jpg

sorry to hear you aren't all that big on his new CD, MarcO. i guess they cant all be like Dylan, whose recent stuff is up there with some of his best.

Edited by Guest

I like the album, not his best, but still good. I agree with Marc0's rating on it.

The Copps show was great, my second time seeing him and hopefully, not the last.

TimmyB thinks it's Willie's best record since "Teatro" but I don't really know that album well enough to be a fair judge of that.

edit since I read that wrong.

I would tend to agree with Tim on this one Marc0 Now that I re-read your post, I don't know if I'd go that far to say that. I love Teatro (probally my favourite Willie album) & it gets alot of play around here, it even has Hamilton's own Brian Griffith on it, as well Emmylou & Lanois. You should pick it up.

Edited by Guest

I don't get the "over-produced" comments. It sounds like they recorded the backing band loose and live off the floor. The over-produced tag usually gets thrown around when there's tons of overdubs, extra instrumentation, etc.

I'd say RA's only failure as producer is the song selection. Not that it's bad, but there's just nothing to write home about here. Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah is one of the most over-covered songs in recent memory.

Like all have said here, it's a fine album but mostly forgettable IMO.