Jambands.ca

JOEL PLASKETT EMERGENCY free this Saturday in Toronto

StoneMtn

So, I've heard a lot about this guy on the board. I think I'll check this out on Saturday.

Jacksoul is also playing right after. I guess they're an RnB band. Anyone know if they're worth seeing too?

Cavalcade of Lights Opening Celebration

Saturday, November 25, 2006

7 pm

Nathan Phillips Square

FREE!

The First Lighting Celebration is a glittering evening of the entertainment in honour of the premiere illumination of the Cavalcade of Lights display culminating in the lighting of

Toronto’s official giant Christmas Tree and a spectacular pyrotechnic finale.

Show highlights include:

Joel Plaskett Emergency

Joel and his band have earned a die-hard following and growing mainstream attention, as seen by a Juno nomination for Songwriter of the Year, and win in the same category at the East Coast Music Awards.

Visit: www.joelplaskett.com/

Link

I'm a big fan. He's definitely the type of guy who is a songwriter first and a rock and roller second, and going to see him is all about seeing him play tunes that have been burned into your brain with their goodness. If only there was some way I could share some of his music with you, StnMtn.

(check your PMs)

Hmmmm. I think you might be right.

For some reason, I was thinking that the site had them listed in order of appearance, but of course they would normally show the headliner first, and then list them in descending order.

Anybody know of any way to find out when Plaskett's going on? I don't relish the idea of standing out in the cold for several hours waiting for him to start. If anyone has a connection and can find out his start-time, I'd really appreciate it.

oooo joel plaskett.....he's good. jacksoul is poopy. don't waste your time. but plaskett is very good. don't know if it's worth a night in the cold for a few songs though. he's playing in hamilton on monday if you're up for the trip. you can also check out some tracks on his website www.joelplaskett.com OR you could go back in time and watch a zellers commercial from the summer, one of his songs was in the background.

you could go back in time and watch a zellers commercial from the summer, one of his songs was in the background.

That song is shitty. Plaskett has four post-Thrush Hermit records:

In Need of Medical Attention

Down At The Khyber

Truthfully, Truthfully

La De Da

The first and last are solo records, the middle two are with the Emergency. The middle two are the most rock-and-roll, and the two that are worth getting into, in my opinion. Medical Attention is also great, but somewhat different. La De Da is half-assed, I feel. He also released a DVD last year with a three-song CD of new material, and found those tunes about as enjoyable as the La De Da record. Khyber as an album is magnificent beginning to end, and so far his pinnacle as a rocker. I've seen him with the band probably about a dozen times, and a few more solo, and I've been disappointed with the most recent band performances, probably because they contained so much fartsy La De Da material. I'm still on the fence re: the Hamilton show, I'm worried about arriving and being disappointed by a bunch of girly whining with not enough rock. The Toronto show will probably be two crap new songs and one moderately enjoyable half whine-pop/half rock tune from Truthfully. Not worth it, in my opinion.