Jambands.ca

making jam

phishin4mango

ok, so it's off topic...but jam...jambands....sort of close.

has anyone here made jam WITHOUT using a canner??

i was about to make some jam with berries i picked this fall, but then i read all these websites that says how bad it is to do it without using a canner....apparently you can kill people!! any advice for this?? i really don't want to kill anyone this christmas!

I made jam once and didn't use a canner. Basically I chopped up the rhubarb, threw in a shitload of sugar and let it sit for a few hours, then boiled it down (I may have added water), then threw in a packet of jello powder. You got yourself some delicious jam! But its fresh jam, so you have to eat it fairly quickly or freeze it. Its not preserved or anything. I found the recipe online. :)

Its probably too late for this now.. you probably have figured it all out. but for next time here is the trick:

jillianmarie19: if it's cooked food you cook the food and put it in jars then you boil just the lids not the rings and then you make sure to wipe the tops of the jars clean and then put the lids on hot and then screw the rings on and let them sit and they will seal

engroovenment: ok

engroovenment: they will pop won't they? sound like pop, pop or like a snap

engroovenment: its rubarb jam

engroovenment: they used jeletin

engroovenment: ewww

jillianmarie19: if it is fresh food like green beans you cold pack the beans into the jar with a teaspoon of salt, wipe the jar tops clean, put the lids and rings on the jars, sit the jars in the pot, fill it up with cold water covering the jars and boil 3 hours

jillianmarie19: yeah they make a sound so you know they are sealed

engroovenment: ok im posting this convo

jillianmarie19: were you hear when mom canned the tomaters?

ohhh and you should melt wax in a pot after that is all done and dip the lids in wax and then take some nice trippy material and put over top and tie a piece of hemp rope around and ad a tag with what ever you want on it. Now im not the pickler general or anything but i saw this and didn't see any reply so i thought i would give a hand since somone was so kind on this board to me today. Good Luck with your canning. THey never used to have canners back in the good old days.