Jambands.ca

Hey downloaders

AD

I got a warning email from my ISP today saying that due to my activities downloading copyrighted material, my account could be suspended then terminated.

I didn't get any more information than that because my ISP (CIA.com, providing a discounted Rogers cable internet service and VOIP) is useless.

But it was a little disconcerting. Big brother is watching.

AD

pretty much just torrents these days... haven't used soulseek or limewire in at least 6 months. mp3 blogs i download from as well...

i'm curious what specific torrents they are complaining about, if it is movies, public-tracker music, private tracker OiNK stuff....

AD

I'd bet a truckload (of what, I'm not sure ...) that the real issue isn't the downloading of copyright material at all, but bandwidth usage.

An ISP should have no reason to be concerned about what you are downloading, unless they've received a direct complaint from the copyright holder (or representative organization). And you pay a private copy levy already, and nobody has yet satisfactorily demonstrated that you aren't within your legal rights to download whatever the heck you want in Canada (barring the obvious), unlike in the US.

I think they just don't want you plugging their tubes when they can probably squish 30 or more 'average bandwidth' users in your place, each of them paying as much per month as you do.

Do you use utorrent with encryption?

tell me more about this 'encryption'...

and d_rawk - i'd agree with you... however i'll post below 4 lines of what i got from them...

Category: Legal

Type: Copyright Complaint

Number of Complaints: 1

Number of Offences: 1

i'm screwed if they cut off my service, DSL isn't available in my building at the moment (without doing rewiring that neither I nor my landlord will pay for), and as far as I know Rogers is the sole cable internet provider...

What happens a lot of times I think, is that the 'copyright holders' snag a pirated version of their movie or whatever, and they start a torrent with the purposes of tracking everyones IP... Can you say entrapment? They then report your IP to your internet provider and they are loosely obligated to send you a threating email telling you to stop it.

uTorrent has an encryption mode in order to disquise the bit torrent traffic. The main reason to do this is because Rogers throttles bit torrent traffic. By encrypting the data stream they basically don't see the traffic as bit torrent traffic and therefore don't slow it down.

But now that I think about it, that probably wouldn't disquise the data for someone who was looking into it, just the method of transfer.

Hmmm, must look more into this...

I just went with Bell as an ISP. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I ordered a week ago and it looks like another week before i'm surfing high speed... so here I type via dial-up.

Anyways.... Does anybody here use Usenet/newgoups? I'm really thinking of going that way. I hear they're a lot safer and fast as hell.

I just went with Bell as an ISP. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I ordered a week ago and it looks like another week before i'm surfing high speed... so here I type via dial-up.

Anyways.... Does anybody here use Usenet/newgoups? I'm really thinking of going that way. I hear they're a lot safer and fast as hell.

bell recently changed their Usenet. they have outsourced it, and are making you pay for usenet bandwidth.

and hey AD, one of my coworkers got the same harangue from Rogers for Bittorrenting a PC game.

here's the thread.

bell recently changed their Usenet. they have outsourced it, and are making you pay for usenet bandwidth.

I have Bell through a reseller. I get a certain amount of usenet bandwidth before I hit the limit (either 1 GB or 10 GB, can't remember). Never hit it yet but I'm not huge on the newsgroups either.

AD check out peer guardian

yeah i saw that - sounds promising, does anyone else use it on here that can comment?

what about utorrent encryption?

Is your provider really called cia.com?

If so, you shoulda known you were screwed from the get go.

good point. dammit. :)