Jambands.ca

worth checking out

edger

Hey y'all.

I saw this guy open a show at the Media Club while I was out in Vancouver. His name is Dan Mangan. I guess he could be placed into a folk rock category. He's got an amazing voice with beautiful tone. A very mature sound to him despite his young age, definitely worth checking out. MarcO, for some reason he made me think of you, perhaps you will like his sound. According to his myspace page his influences include:

Ryan Adams, Damien Rice, The National, Doves, Death Cab for Cutie, Hayden, Wilco, Beatles, Radiohead, Van Morrison, Bright Eyes, M. Ward, Interpol, etc.

Anyhow, just thought a few of you might be interested in lending some support to this emerging artist. You can check him out at:

http://www.myspace.com/danmangan

or

www.danmanganmusic.com

Cheers!

YOu're welcome guys.

I had never heard of him either Stone Mountain. I just came across him by chance. I was staying with Tyler (former and original keyboard player of the Fat Cats), and I went out to see a band that he plays with sporadically one night. Dan was the first act on that bill, and I was really glad that I got there early enough to see him. I went to purchase a CD, but he didn't have any change at the time and decided to give it to me for a reduced price. In return I said that I would give him a plug on this board. I was totally impressed.

While he was singing I kept thinking there was something familiar about him. I almost thought he sounded a bit like Dave Matthews (particularly his upper register), but I'm not so sure if that's quite right either...

David Francey is great too Dr. J. My uncle introduced me to him some time ago... good stuff!

• 5 months later...

Short notice, and unfortunately I won't be able to make it, but I just received this from Dan Mangan and thought some of y'all might be interested:

Hello - you Ontarian you,

In typical short notice, I wanted to let you know I'll be in your neck of the woods, specifically Toronto, playing at the North By North-East festival this weekend! Show details:

Friday, June 8th

The Hideout (484 Queen St. West)

12am - Midnight

I'm not sure what the door charge is, but alternatively there are festival wristbands you can buy to check out anybody you'd like throughough the festival.. http://www.nxne.com/

I'll be doing a more extensive bout through eastern canada in September as well - more details as the arrive..

Just in case you're curious - here's some of the stuff I've been up to this year:

- two USA tours in March and April, shows at Austin's South By South-West, LA's The Viper Room and Roxy Theatre

-UK tour in May, played "The Great Escape" festival in Brighton, song "Journal Of A Narcoleptic" was on the covermount CD of NME magazine for the week of May 15th w/ a blurb inside

- Postcards and Daydreaming will be available in stores across Canada on July 10th, USA and UK release dates later this year

- I'll be headed to Australia in October for a festival in Brisbane and some touring down under

It's been an exciting year so far and I can't wait to get back in the studio and get working on the next album.. Keep well,

Dan

"This folk singer may only be 23, but he sings with the soul of Woody Guthrie - if Guthrie had listened to Godspeed (You Black Emperor)" ~NME

"Dan's music is what you'd expect from a love child of Harry Nilsson or Tom Waits" ~The Fly

"The deliciously downbeat Postcards and Daydreaming is a good sulky-day companion to anyone who had already invested in the collected works of Hayden or Crooked Fingers" ~Georgia Strait