Jambands.ca

I'm not asleep yet.....

mister slippery

...but i wish i was.

man, that was some vicious ride back from IT.

got frescolopez home with 9 minutes to spare.

what a great weekend, in spite of the venue being a disaster area. such great music (with PYITE being a glaring exception, flubs galore).

of the standards....

Ghost. this bad boy was very groovy. kept giving me that "indoor feel for an outdoor show". meaning, less playful, more dark space.

Mikes Groove. nice to see it with H20 in it, having previously had Simple, Frankie, and Mist, but no Hydrogen. The Mikes was good, well played, but nothing unusual, into the aformentioned H20, and then a fierce 'Paug.

Chalkdust. WOW!! never really cared too much for Chalkdust, seeing it as poppy fun, but nothing to get too worked up over. now, i see something new.

This jam was everywhere. at approx. 26 minutes, it twisted and turned all over, with spacey mellow jams nicely interspersed with cutting guitar riffs, weaving back and forth.

Reba/YEM. nice to see some classics get the much-deserved practice. with memories of Hampton YEM still in my brain, nice to hear the real complex composed tunes go off so well.

gotta run for a while, i will continue this later.

(unless, while im gone, you tell me to piss off)

[big Grin]

The setup for the stage was much better than either the Went or the Lemonwheel. It wasn't located near the end as in previous years - but more in the middle and on the side of the camping/parking areas. The area was great with trees, some small hills and lots of grasss to sit on. The problem was that it rained like hell for a week before the festival and everything was soggy and eventually very muddy once 60000 people started walking on it!

The past festivals would have been bad like this as well except they had nice weather. The sunken City in the IT grounds was amazing and the venue itself was good too. I relaxed under a nice little cro of trees for the second day watching everyone enjoy themselves from a comfy area! Very nice. They also had video screens which was a nice tough with some serious filming going on. I suspect a DVD release sometime soon which would be cool. Lemonwheel and Big Cypress didn't have the screens.

Colin

still awake, so.......

lets talk new tunes (RoundRoom and newer)

1.Seven Below

ok, this thing is massive. my favourite new song, and maybe the best performance i saw this summer. question is, was it better on its own (gorge, 25ish minutes)or in the ITness (Rock & Roll > 7 below > scentsandsubtlesounds > 7 below)**? I cant decide yet.(plus, at the LivePhish tent i downloaded the Utah version too, so i gotta check that out too.)

speaking of S & SS.....

2. Scents & Subtle Sounds

A lot of the new jams are really bringing out that wistful, longing feeling, languid ballad-y tunes, nice melodies, that sorta thing. In my not-at-all humble opinion, S&SS was the best of the bunch for this type of new song (versus other fare like Army of One or Discern, for example).

Kinda see it like Pebbles meeting All Of These Dreams, with the balladishness (wow, thats one hell of a word, and 19 points in scrabble)of AOTDreams, and the compositional structure of P&Marbles. gotta say, though, think i liked the one at the gorge better.

finally (at 42 minutes, had to say something about...)

3. 46 Days

It's a solid rock song, the kind that you could jam for 7, 17, or 67 minutes, depending on where you want to take it. At 42 minutes, this one struck me as being similar to the Vegas '98 Wolfman's Brother > Piper. folks will either love it, or hate it. really spacey in parts, significantly more spacey in others, it was the kind of jam that might have seemed like it wasnt going anywhere, but then 5 minutes later you wondered where the hell you had ended up. To me, those are the jams that keep us coming back. We can go see a Jay Z show if we want album versions of songs. Phish pushed and pushed and pushed at us to see how much we could take, and then, finally, after Freekerbythespeeker and i said to each other "its going into 2001" for about the 70th time, it brought its main theme back, and the crowd roared. Maybe it was the fact that after such an extended jam, they remembered what song they were listening to, maybe it was for the sheer length of the jam, and maybe it was the jam itself, but 60-70,000 people lost their Shit when that main theme came back.

more later......

**in diffence to the Phantasytour.com setlist for this portion, i heard no seven below tease after S&SSounds. it wasnt a tease, it was the song again.thus, why i wrote it that way. anyone else share a thought on this?

[big Grin]

back again.....

sorry, trying to do twelve things at once, while trying to stay awake, is a bitch.

part 3 of this babble is...

THE JAMBANDS.CA cats.

nice to meet some new folks, as well as some i'd met before. some impressions......

Frescolopez.

This dude is something else. it was like he was at an all-you-can-eat buffet, where anything you put in front of him was gone. Man, he can eat. Even better than the ability to pack himself way full of food is his uncanny ability to fall asleep just about anywhere at the drop of a hat. he wanted to drive on the way back, but not bloody likely, Mr. Van Winkle.

[Wink]

jes' kiddin' Mike, it's cuz ya aint got a real license yet at 24.

[Wink]

not kiddin'.

[Wink]

BradM.

Brad, you are one of the most genuine people i have ever met. a fine mix of insight and madness combining to make a straight-up good dude. however, i still cant quite figure out how you got yer tall self into yer little tent every night.

FreekerByTheSpeeker.

Do you ever sleep? if i look up, in next year's Oxford English Dictionary, the word "Give'r", i'd better see a picture of Trev. another super-kind chap,and the owner of the best Lot Shirt i saw this weekend.

The Sloth.

hazy, very hazy. it's as if i'd be sitting about the campsite, minding my own business, staying out of trouble, and along would come Sloth, with a bottle with a hole busted out the bottom, and off we'd go again. Despite the haziness, though, it seemed the Dave was the easiest person to find.

Everywhere i'd turn, there he was. Good Trick.

Curly.

This dude has the coolest hair. it kinda looks like this

[Confused]

except he was always smiling, not all confused-like, and instead of little ??? all over his head he has great big curly hair. I think that's probably why they call him Curly.

Basher.

didnt see too much of him this weekend. already knew he was a good dude tho. at the time of this posting, he may still be drunk.

oops, gotta run off again..........

[big Grin]

Archived