Jambands.ca

McGwire

Booche

The funny thing is that if McGwuire had not used steroids I think he would have made the hall without his 73 homner year.

I mean he won rookie of the year and in his first year he hit 49 homers, and after that him and Conseco pilled up the stats. If he just stayed the course he'd be in. But he got greedy.

I don't think he should be in. Although the fact of if it was illegal at the time does factor into it.

Also I think Pete Rose should be in. I mena yeah he gambled but that in no way affected what he did on the field or his stats, whereas McGwire's indicent did affect his numbers.

I really have a hard time with this topic. This topic goes well beyond McGwire. There are whole generation of players who are clouded with the suspision of steroid use. McGwire was never proven to have taken a substance that was banned by Baseball.

Now we all know he did. It seems so obvious but without a 100% conviction how can we condem him. All of a sudden all the fans and sports writers become experts on ethics in sports. The fact is he was never caught breaking any rules.

All this being said, I don't want him in.

I think his not being elected will actually fade away quietly. Barry Bonds will be another story.

as a non-baseball fan, can someone politely tell me if McGuire was ever proven to have taken steroids, or if he's admitted it?

He famously stonewalled congress last year, or the one before, and it was completely obvious he was avoiding the issue.

But to answer your question, no.

Vote him in.

Tony Gwynn said that [McGwire's exclusion was] unfair, given baseball's stance on the subject for most of McGwire's career. He thinks McGwire, who broke Roger Maris' 37-year-old home run record in 1998, deserved to join him and Cal Ripken Jr. in the Hall this summer.

"In the late 1980s and early '90s, we had no rules," Gwynn said Tuesday on a conference call. "We knew, players knew, owners knew, everybody knew, and we didn't say anything about it.

"As a player I kind of focused on what was going on on the field, and as far as I'm concerned he dominated an era."

Gwynn: McGwire should be in the Hall