Jambands.ca

the only bad part about the movie is some of the dialogue...

but the imagery is fucking mind blowing.

best battle sequences ever.

one problem: i didn't give a shit about any of the characters...so as gory as the battle was, it didn't really effect me the way the gore in say Braveheart did.

the imagery was just mind blowing though. the first entrance of Xerxes ont he platform was beautiful.

I tried to go see this last night at 9:45 after watching Family Guy at 9:00. Tight schedule, jumped a subway but, much to my dismay, the Bay station, as I had forgot, was closed and I got spit out at Museum 15 minutes after the movie had started. I ran for a while but gave up and curled into a breathless little ball at Bloor and Avenue Road. Someone gave me a loonie though, so, all in all, not a bad night.

Hmmm... the classicist in me is now curious about this movie. And the conspiracy theorist in me mulls over how they've timed its release to show up them "Persians" before the next Asian invasion. Either way, it could be entertaining.

It is kind of funny; had that one battle gone differently, the world today would, arguably, look very, very different.

Interesting comments on the wikipedia site for the movie -

The film has attracted controversy over the portrayal of the Persians. Greek critic Dimitris Danikas claimed the film showed Persians as "bloodthirsty, underdeveloped zombies," and went on to say, "They are stroking (sic) racist instincts in Europe and America."[67] As in the graphic novel, the Persians are depicted as a barbaric and demonic horde, while the Persian emissary and King Xerxes are depicted as androgynous. This is meant to stand in stark contrast to the masculinity of the Spartan army.[77] Furthermore, the "bad guys" are depicted as black people, brown people, handicapped or deformed people, gays and lesbians. The traitor Ephialtes is played by a hunchback as in the graphic novel; however, historically there is no mention that Ephialtes was a hunchback. [78]

The president of Iran's Art Affairs Advisory also expressed strong condemnation over the movie which he said insulted the Persian civilization. Javad Shamqadri, who is also a filmmaker, said the film specifically had racist intentions but called the film's effort fruitless however, saying, "values in Iranian culture are too strongly seated to be damaged by such plans."[79]