Jambands.ca

Blind Boys of Alabama!!!

Calamity Jane

That was one of the more unusual shows we've been to in a while. Chalmers United is, well, a big church, of course (quite nice, I should add - reminded me of Convocation Hall at U of T, but with taste), and there was a certain sobriety or stiffledness to the whole setting at the outset. The first few tunes had me a little apprehensive (didn't help that the sound hadn't quite settled into place), but by mid-set, the whole place started loosening up, and they were totally rocking by the end - and had everybody in the crowd on their feet and moving as well. And not only can those guys sing (i.e., sing!), but the band are all top-shelf musicians. All in all, a very class act. I can only imagine what heights they'd reach in a less Ontario-Protestant kind of setting. It was funny - the night was MC'd by CBC host Adrian Harewood, who said at the end of the show that he'd in fact grown up going to that very church, and never imagined a day when music like that would have been performed on its stage.

They also managed to raise $40,000 for an Ottawa-based blindness research company through this show, which I thought very cool.

Wish I had a setlist to offer; I'll have their encore, though - Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground" - going through my head as I fall asleep.