Jambands.ca

hotels - Amsterdam Center

Birdy

Hi there,

Does anyone have any recommendations of cheap hotels in Amsterdam Center? I'm hoping to not stay in so much of a hostel environment as we will have luggage that we need to leave behind and would like it to be safe.

Also, it seems kinda expensive to take a taxi to the city from Schippol Airport. I'm thinking that a cheap car rental would save us money.. any thoughts?

Thanks!!! :) :)

Assuming you mean Amsterdam in the Netherlands, I had some good experiences with Ibis Hotels when in the UK and Europe in 1999/2001. The hotels are inexpensive, and minimalist, but are clean, safe, and well-run. They often have a pretty good cold buffet breakfast, too, which is pretty inexpensive.

Aloha,

Brad

Birdy,

I HIGHLY recommend Amsterdam Escape Apartments. I stayed at one last year with 5 other buddies on a party weekend. We had a blast. It's like your own personal apartment. Decorated funky, includes all the hardware you need for your smoking pleasure, good stereo system, video games, etc. etc. They are all located centrally and the guy who runs the show, Brendan Bowie, will help you out with ANYTHING.

http://www.amsterdamescape.com/

Edited by Guest

Also, it seems kinda expensive to take a taxi to the city from Schippol Airport. I'm thinking that a cheap car rental would save us money.. any thoughts?

Don't bother with a car rental. Amsterdam was not designed to drive around in. You can walk everywhere and they have a streetcar system.

To get from the airport to downtown Adam you simply take the train!!! It only costs about $4, is fast and takes you right into Centraal Station.

Need a tour guide to come along for the trip??

Thanks guys! :) Yup, Bradm, talking about Amsterdam, Netherlands... just trying to be right downtown and not in the outskirts.. hence the "center" bit.

I'll definitely check out both of your recommendations.. and thanks for the info on the train Kev... just what i was hoping for! :)

tour guides are always welcome!

Definately use the train from the airport! Its super cheap. We stayed at a hotel not too far from all the action for a pretty reasonable price. Maybe a five minute bus ride. Definately don't drive into Amsterdam, ask Schwa how that went for him. See you tomorrow sometime!

• 2 weeks later...

Sign-Round-Small.gif

You're going to have a blast. It's such an amazing city on so many different levels.

If you are going to hit any of the coffee shops, may I suggest one? A lot of them can be pretty dingy and unwelcoming. When I was there last year, I spent most of my coffee shop time at the Basjoe. It's well worth the visit, trust me. James and Leonardo are totally nice dudes who will help you out. They make the BEST smoothies too. Nothing like some fine herb and a cold smoothie along with some killer tunes (ask them to put on Dub Side Of The Moon ... i gave them a copy )

http://www.basjoe.com/

If you make it, say hi from the Canadian guys who missed their flight home from there last year (more smoothies )

Edited by Guest