Jambands.ca

In case you needed another reason to rent/buy TV programs on DVD

Jaimoe

I think some analog stations like local cable will fold. You are correct Ollie. I got ahead of myself once again. You won't notice too much difference with digital vs analog on good old tube-oriented TV. However, I don't think we are that many years away from major networks like ABC switching to HD exclusively or other channels being offered only in HD. We see that now with the generally good HDNET.

I'm disappointed with the lack of HD content since I got hooked up. Do you know what is prohibiting the proliferation of HD programming? Are the cameras too expensive? Post-production costs? Bandwidth? Some of the HD channels shouldn't even have a license they are such a joke: SUN and OMNI come to mind.

I think some analog stations like local cable will fold. You are correct Ollie. I got ahead of myself once again. You won't notice too much difference with digital vs analog on good old tube-oriented TV. However' date=' I don't think we are that many years away from major networks like ABC switching to HD exclusively or other channels being offered only in HD. We see that now with the generally good HDNET.[/quote']

I'm disappointed with the lack of HD content since I got hooked up. Do you know what is prohibiting the proliferation of HD programming? Are the cameras too expensive? Post-production costs? Bandwidth? Some of the HD channels shouldn't even have a license they are such a joke: SUN and OMNI come to mind.

All of that Ollie and much much more. For example, Citytv broadcasts their news in HD. They had to buy 50 HD-convertable cameras as well as build a new control room. The control room itself cost over 2 million. Converting to HD is very expensive plus you need a CRTC license.

Sun and Omni probably got approval so they went ahead and put anything on their HD channel, even though most of their programming has not been upconverted to HD. The Score went HD internally for the first time during the Raptors playoff run.

I must say that Rogers has a pretty good HD package.

Do they offer RDS as part of their package in Ottawa? Please research this for me and let me know. I want to make the HD jump in the fall but I dont know how I can do that if I have to give up every Habs game being aired on good ole RDS.

Thanks in advance.

Signed,

Lazy Fuck

Do they offer RDS as part of their package in Ottawa? Please research this for me and let me know. I want to make the HD jump in the fall but I dont know how I can do that if I have to give up every Habs game being aired on good ole RDS.

Thanks in advance.

Signed' date='

Lazy Fuck[/quote']

It isn't an either/or thing. You'll still get the RDS digital channel and if RDS is progressive, they'll have an HD channel as well.

Both HD Bell and Rogers HD have their advantages and disadvantages. I believe Rogers offers the most HD channels. Bell's signal is reported to be clearer, although I can't confirm that. I believe the packages are better on Rogers. If it rains, you may get disruptions on Bell because it is a dish.

Another reason for downloading torrents.

What's the source for the torrents? If they are taken from a TV station signal' date=' then it's all the same.[/quote']

Not when some nerd takes the time to cut out the commercials for you.

Then the content will still be chopped as well in the future, unless the torrents are taken from a DVD or network source.

The torrent we'll download won't be the shitty one chopped up in Canada.

Also, there will be more options to get the shows commercial free in the future, like the iTunes music store. They are commercial free but you have to pay for them (not available in canada...surprised?). Some nerd will deliver those via torrent to other nerds for free though.

VOD will also be a good option, however, do they slap commercials in VOD?