Jambands.ca

Ween: The Gift That Keeps On Giving

MarcO

Kung, could you do us all a favour and type out a list of acceptable bands that we are allowed to like and dislike? That way, no one's opinion on a band will cause such tension. For someone who's internet name comes from a Phish song, you seem to bash them quite a bit. I don't know why, you obviously like them. But your point about how "stupid" Phish's song titles are is moot. I was making a point about how offensive (to some, not me in particular) some of Ween's song titles are. Other than "Fuck Your Face" or possibly "Funky Bitch", I can't think of an offensive song title that Phish has either wrote or played. In comparing Phish's songs to Ween's, you are implying that Ween does, in fact have silly song titles. This is something Phish has never hidden behind. They admit a lot of their titles and lyrics are meaningless or drug-induced. But to pull the line "you can feel good" and say that Phish is trying to say something uplifting is absolutely ridiculous. The line, as everyone knows is "You can feel good about Hood". It's the tag line to a Hood Milk commercial. Phish didn't even write that. So again, what's your point? As for Trey not being that insightful, I don't ever recall implying that he was... listen to his ramblings at Bonnaroo last year to see how insightful he is. It's a quote that sticks out to me from a published piece of work, about something I agree with him about. That's it. I'm sorry I don't spend my days reading up on Sartre and Camus. Maybe I should read more... But it is a good point, in that bands that rely totally or predominantly on humour seem to have short life spans with me. Ween seems very gimmicky to me. Along the lines of The Flaming Lips and Tenacious D. I can ahndle about 5 minutes of any of these bands (Ween excepted), but after that I lose interest. And as for your comment about how all the bands were gushing about TFL at the SARS show, that doesn't impress me. Sass Jordan's opinion after Canadian Idol really doesn't hold that much water. Justin Timberlake? Who cares. The Tea Party are so full of themselves that I doubt they could appreciate anyone. AC/DC and the Rolling Stones? If they said anything good I'm sure it was because they HAD to. What did they say about that unknown French band that played? Probably something kind. I don't base my opinion on what others say. I have watched and listened to all these bands, and I personally do not like them. That is my opinion, and quoting all the people in the world will not change my opinion. I mean, the first time we met (or was it second?), you forced me and Pablo Sanchez to listen to some underground hip-hop you had. We both said it sucked, but we kept it on, because we're all entitled to our own opinions. I'm just saying, you keep your Ween and rap, I'll stick to my Phish, and we'll all be happy.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard nearly enough to form a good opinion on Zappa. I like some of what I've heard and hated some as well. raq plays a lot of Zappa covers so they're helping me get into a little more of it. So I'll say I don't dislike him?

quote:

Originally posted by kung:

How you could say that the Flaming Lips performance at the SARS concert was one of the most boring you've ever heard is beyond me.

I caught one of the songs from their set on TV (so what follows is based on a small sample, and may not apply to the rest of the set; still, it's my impressions of what I did see), and, well, it did absolutely nothing for me. It didn't engage me at all, the lyrics weren't particularly good, the singer's voice was in bad shape, the musicians could easily have been replaced by machines (especially given how pedestrian the music, as composed, was), and their "theatricality" was, well, stupid. Having people dressed up as animals and cavorting about on stage may be theatre, but it's useless and immature theatre. Oh, he tossed masks into the audience! Wow, that made up for everything! Crap.

Was it the most boring live stuff I've ever heard? No, I've heard a lot worse. Did it turn me into a Lips fan? No.

(And, for reference, I downloaded one set of theirs [from Germany, IIRC] from the Daily Goods, and the music struck me as low-grade Rheostatics at best.)

That said, I'm planning on catching their moe.down set. I've heard a lot about them, and there are musicians whose work I admire who like them, so I'm hopeful.

Aloha,

Brad

Archived