Jambands.ca

Confessions of a Bootlegger

Kanada Kev

Before I knew 'better" I used to frequent record shows in the Toronto and Hamilton area purchasing these albums.

KTS, Swinging Pig, Oxygen/ Octopus:

These ere the best boot labels, great packaging, amazing sound on most of the "O" releases and I used to pay about $20 per which was comparable to regular cd prices at the time.

I still have several of them including Nirvanas last show, 95 Radiohead, 95 Pearl Jam sbd, many Neil Young titles and even a couple of Phish issues (6.24.94 and 10.31.94).

I used to troll the Hamilton music shops for bootleg records, on vinyl. Damn they were expensive, especially when you're just 16!

There was a place in Hamilton that was at least 50% bootleg records; it was awesome, but it kept getting busted.

"The Collector's Guide To Led Zeppelin" was a bible to me when my hormones were shifting.

LOL ... I used to know Ed from Record World at Yonge & Eglinton. Worked for him the odd weekend. He'd let us borrow the boots, record 'em, and then bring them back in :)

We even bootlegged bootlegs a couple of times. Got the plain white LP sleeves, tossed in a couple of ABBA albums from the $.25 bin, insert a photocopied 8x11 cover sheet then seal it in a plastic wrap. Go down to one of the shady LP stores on Queen West West and "sell" 'em for some quick in store credit. Man, it's easy to do stoopid things when you're 16 :) :) :)