Jambands.ca

Priceline Strategy

AD

I have a few very successful Priceline hotel stays under my belt, but was curious about strategy in booking.

Is it good to book a couple months in advance (guaranteeing a room well in advance for the hotel), or will better deals come up closer to the time of booking (hotels more sure of vacancy rate and discounting more heavily if high - just a theory)

anyone have thoughts?

It goes both ways AD - sometimes you get a better deal in advance, as the hotel is relatively sure they will not be sold out, and other times more optimistic hotels finally realize late that they have to drop their rates to sell out. Six of one, half dozen of another.

I have found that booking in advance gives you a good room at a decent price. Booking closer to your arrival dates guarantees a good price but not always a good room. Ie. you get a 'priceline' room where the view is substandard (construction) or the room is one that has not been upgraded yet (hotel is undergoing renovations).

Never had a bad experience though. I always save at least $50- $100 per night; and I rarely need a good view because I am rarely in my room.

Sean

I used advice in those forums to my advantage several times. It seems there are folks on there who might work in certain hotels and post when they have made rooms available.

I found out about the Westin Harbour Castle on that Priceline Forum the day that rooms were posted, pricelined, and bam had a room in one of the nicest hotels in TO for about $70 a night for the Rheostatics shows in March.