Jambands.ca

satellite radio (info needed)

dancingbear

hi all,

i want to buy satellite radio as a gift for my bro. when i check out Sirius website, it gets confusing with respect to what receiver is best and what accessories you need to hook it up.

So i was wondering what is the best one to get? i would want it to go from car to house, and i also hear there are portable ones to. is it too bulky for lets say the gym? i dont want to give him something where he will have to go buy a bunch of things either, so what accessories are necessary?

any info appreciated.

thanks.

I have the Sportster Replay with the boombox, so I can go from car to home easily. The portable ones do NOT receive reception when "portable", they just play back any captured music, kinda like an iPod.

The Sportster 4 is nice, and they sell it with a home docking station for $240.

link

Also wanted to add, going with the boombox allows you to take it to beach, camping, etc... I would probably still suggest a home kit for home, as I would rather it going through my stereo at home then from the box. I have taken the boombox on vacation, and loved the option, especially in PEI, with few radio stations, none of which I could tolerate.

You have to make sure that you get connectivity for both home and car. When we first got a portable unit, it came with a car audio kit, but it was useless for home since the power was supplied by the lighter jack. So we had to shell out money for the home rig.

The worst part for the car was all the cables. One for the antenna, one for the audio line in jack, and one for the power. I hear that there are units that you can have installed with no wires to worry about and they can still be popped out to plug into your home unit.

Just make sure that it will plug into the things you want it to plug into. IF you don't like wires flailing around in the car, make sure you can have an install like I mentioned.

Sirius is alot of fun and convenience so have at 'er!

We've had a couple of Sportster Replays (ie., Sportster 2) since Jan06 and have been really happy with them.

What you will need is:

a) the receiver (ie., Sportster 4)

B) a car kit (docking station)

c) a home kit (docking station)

d) an external home antenna (optional, but HIGHLY recommended)

e) a boombox (optional), and

f) a subscription

Sirius has deals on right now for radio packages that include a receiver, boombox and car kit. You would have to additonally purchase the home kit, and possibly the external home antenna, and of course, the subscription.

I would recommend the Sportster 4. It's modular (plug and play) and can be moved from your car to your home to your boombox. It is the receiver unit that is linked to the subscription - everything else is ancillory. The car kit remains in your car and is essentially a docking station that is wired into a power supply, an antenna, and is played thru your FM tuner (never had a problem with this and it's very good quality). You simply pop the receiver into the dock, turn it on and enjoy the tunes. When you get home after a hard day at work, you physically remove the receiver (ie., the Sportster 4) from the car dock and take it inside the house where you pop it into the home dock that you additionally purchased (~ $50us). The home dock is hard wired to your home amp, but will also broadcast an FM signal that can be heard anywhere else in the house. The antenna that comes with the home dock is not very strong, and often, you will require an external antenna and possibly an extension cord for it (~ $40 to $80us).

If you want the boombox (and you'd get one included in the radio package), its the same thing ... plug the receiver into the boombox dock and enjoy (the boombox has a built-in antenna, and has its own amp, speakers, batteries, etc.). I do not have a boombox, so I can not say how well they work.

The prime advantage of going with a modular receiver (Sportster, Starmate, etc.) is that you only require one subscription, BUT only one person can listen to it at a time. If you physically have the receiver in the car, your home dock is empty and noone at home can listen (altho, if you have a computer, you additionally get free online access, so you can listen via the comp at the same time). If you want to listen in your car, and also have someone listen on the boombox at the beach, you will need to buy two receivers and get two subscriptions.

There has been a big debate as to which is better - the US subscription or the Canadian subscription. We have US subscriptions, and I would recommend doing that ... check here to see how best to do it, but beware that in the past, radios bought in Canada were problematic to use on US subscriptions. (Its all one big company, all using the same satellites, etc., but with a few glitches) and Sirius Canada customer service has been very poor in the past. I havent paid attention to the debate recently, so Im out of the loop now, but there are some issues you'd have to note.

That's basically it. I HIGHLY recommend Sirius. I love it.

thanks so much for all the info! seriously, thanks for taking the time for your responses.

it is way more clear now what i will need to get. i find when reading the site, like why do i need an extra antennae, when you buy the home kit etc.

i want to make the plunge this week, but am considering now making it for myself first!

p.s phistaper your response should be linked to their website!

• 2 weeks later...

Why o why does music sometimes end up in a loop. Saturday on our drive down to Cambridge we remembered about 32 just outside Listowel. Heard a great Eyes > China Doll from 72 I think and then 20 minutes later it starts up again. What the F*ck is that. This seems to happen on other stations too, MArgaritaville, Jam-On, the Reggae Station. Does someone walk away from the controls do they have some crazy random algorithm for picking the songs that is in now way random and nobody pays attention to it.. I really don't understand it. Rant off. Sirius Rocks!!!!

i agree a jerry channel would be sweet.

although i heard a sweet FOTD by phil and friends the other day.

so far i'm liking sirius. i wish they had better reception here though. my only other complaint is i bought the boombox, and completely didnt realize you have to attach the antennae (which only works outside on my deck) via wire to the boombox. nor teally portable even in your own home. you figure a 'satellite' radio company would specialize in wireLESS communication ie. antennae outside transmits to receiver in 50 yard radius.

thanks for all the info before i bought it.

spencer