Jambands.ca

Roll Call: V-fest

SmoothedShredder

I'll be there on Sunday!

My friends 'Earl Greyhound' from NYC are starting the day off on the main stage on Sunday -- be sure & try and catch 'em if you can.

I'm also pumped to see on that day: Tokyo Police Club; Stars; Blonde Redhead; Museum Pieces; CONSTANTINES!!! (woo hoo - they've just been added last minute); Metric; Explosions in the Sky; The Killers & The Smashing Pumpkins....

there are a ton of other bands too but these are the tops on my list. Gonna be a full day!!!

Also - Kill the Lights are playing the Drake later on that night too.

Jonas Sen (keyboardist for Bjork) posted his thoughts on Bjork's performance on his blog. William, what did you think of it?

Well first there was something wrong with my harpsichord in Toronto. Peter van der Velde and two other stage men stood around looking under the lid like it was an automobile. I never even played it tonight. That’s ok, I faced the crowd all night. We changed the intro back to the way it was in Glastonbury. We stopped marching out to Brennid þið vitar, ever since my ass-slapping incident in Scotland. After I gave the thumbs up that my keyboard was okay, Bjork slapped me ten. During Declare Independence, I took one of the Wonderbrass girl’s flags. I ran around the stage with it like a crazy man. I took it over to Damian. He let me touch the reactor table. I changed the way Declare Independance goes. It was the ‘Declare Jonas Sen Mix’. I kicked ass on Oceania as per usual and on Cover Me, even though Bjork was singing over my shoulder and sharing my song book. Good thing, she caught the pages as the wind turned them too soon.

Hmmm…

Ten minutes before walking on stage last night, on the Virgin Festival in Toronto, I was told that smoke was coming out of the electronic harpsichord I usually play on. I would have to play everything on the Yamaha CP300.

Björk said to me: “Well, Jónas, it is Bruce Willis time.†Meaning: Stay cool under pressure. I usually like to prepare when I have to play songs on a different instrument from the one I’m used to. So the harpsichord blowing up just before walking on stage was kinda stressful.

It went quite well though.

To celebrate I couldn’t help dancing. Maybe I was a bit wild. Probably why Björk said to me as we were going back to the dressing rooms: “You are mad!â€

V-fest was fun... but not fun enough that I didn't dump my 2nd day pass on a scalper when I left after the first night.

There was good entertainment. MIA was fun, and Kid Koala cut his set short when his records started to melt on stage.

Bjork played a very good set, but it certainly didn't have the buzz and the crowd appreciation that I experienced when I saw her a couple years ago in Montreal. The RoterTable was really cool to watch, and try to guess what sounds it was making/manipulating.

Great to see the SoulJazz there, but it was sureal to be in a bar that you couldn't get drinks at... both at 2:30, when the ticket line for refreshments was already about 500m long, and moving SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW... and at 10:00 for their final set of the day, when the bar had been closed for over an hour and a half.

The organization was Gestapo like... needing to check your bag all over the place, and having no real official place to do it didn't make me feel too comfortable... And the place stank of one giant commercial.

The staff was about as slutty as your ever going to find at a music Festival... Bacardi Girls, Bud Girls, and not one but two Naked news outlets reporting from the site.

Considering the festival had a 4 star line up... the overall experience makes me have to down grade that to 3 or 2 and 1/2 stars. Toronto crowds suck... they seem to be sleeping.