Jambands.ca

Michigan

Whitey

• 5 weeks later...

So what's the deal with USF? They were talking about them on PTI yesterday and were debating their chances of playing for the national title. They also mentioned something about this being the first year of their program. This didn't make any sense to me. What gives?

really? i thought as long as that game wasnt slated for 1 vs. 2, it was winners of pac 10 vs. big 10? dont they switch up the 4 big BCS bowls each year for 1 vs. 2? what are they, rose, sugar, fiesta and orange? i've been kinda confused ever since they switched it up a few years ago..

if michigan wins out and osu only loses to michigan, they'd win the big 10, though im sure osu would still have a higher national ranking - i wonder how that would play into the bowl business?

really? i thought as long as that game wasnt slated for 1 vs. 2, it was winners of pac 10 vs. big 10? dont they switch up the 4 big BCS bowls each year for 1 vs. 2? what are they, rose, sugar, fiesta and orange? i've been kinda confused ever since they switched it up a few years ago..

if michigan wins out and osu only loses to michigan, they'd win the big 10, though im sure osu would still have a higher national ranking - i wonder how that would play into the bowl business?

I agree, it is very confusing. Yes, you are right. They do switch up the National Championship game every year between the Fiesta, Rose, Orange and Sugar bowls. After that, the bowls basically pick who will make them the most money for the bowl. Hence the reason that the smaller schools get screwed from the BCS games. Your scenario regarding OSU and Michigan is interesting and I am not quite sure of my answer now. In the past, the Rose Bowl was always the winner of the Pac 10 and the Big 10, but I am not sure that is always the case now, with the confusing BCS. I guess you would be right because if Michigan were to win out and finish perfect in the Big Ten, OSU would have one loss in the Big Ten, so Michigan would probably go.

really? i thought as long as that game wasnt slated for 1 vs. 2' date=' it was winners of pac 10 vs. big 10? dont they switch up the 4 big BCS bowls each year for 1 vs. 2? what are they, rose, sugar, fiesta and orange? i've been kinda confused ever since they switched it up a few years ago..

if michigan wins out and osu only loses to michigan, they'd win the big 10, though im sure osu would still have a higher national ranking - i wonder how that would play into the bowl business? [/quote']

I agree, it is very confusing. Yes, you are right. They do switch up the National Championship game every year between the Fiesta, Rose, Orange and Sugar bowls. After that, the bowls basically pick who will make them the most money for the bowl. Hence the reason that the smaller schools get screwed from the BCS games. Your scenario regarding OSU and Michigan is interesting and I am not quite sure of my answer now. In the past, the Rose Bowl was always the winner of the Pac 10 and the Big 10, but I am not sure that is always the case now, with the confusing BCS. I guess you would be right because if Michigan were to win out and finish perfect in the Big Ten, OSU would have one loss in the Big Ten, so Michigan would probably go.

whatever their system is, it's messed up. :)

i wonder why they've never gone to some sort of play-off type situation... i mean, they have what, a month or a month and a half between the last regular season game and the bowls, right? they could probably put something in place to tighten it up.

really? i thought as long as that game wasnt slated for 1 vs. 2' date=' it was winners of pac 10 vs. big 10? dont they switch up the 4 big BCS bowls each year for 1 vs. 2? what are they, rose, sugar, fiesta and orange? i've been kinda confused ever since they switched it up a few years ago..

if michigan wins out and osu only loses to michigan, they'd win the big 10, though im sure osu would still have a higher national ranking - i wonder how that would play into the bowl business? [/quote']

whatever their system is, it's messed up. :)

i wonder why they've never gone to some sort of play-off type situation... i mean, they have what, a month or a month and a half between the last regular season game and the bowls, right? they could probably put something in place to tighten it up.

It's all about money. The Bowls pay big bucks. Not just to the teams that play in them but to the other teams in the conference.

[color:blue]This year 32 bowl games distributed more than $210 million to NCAA schools. More than $900 million has been paid out in just the past six years and the bowls will conservatively payout more than $2.2 billion over the next ten years.

Almost all Bowl games are non-profit organizations. The more revenue the bowl brings in through ticket sales, sponsors, etc. the more money can be paid to NCAA schools.

See more about Bowls here

A few years ago I saw a great idea where someone suggested they have a 8 team playoff format using The current Bowl games. They could use 7 Bowls and rotate which one hosted the championship each year. However it was turned down. It's all about money.