Jambands.ca

Hi from Bamako, Mali (back with a few photos)

Blane

• 3 months later...

Thanks so much Heather, that's really kind of you to say :)

They start well and kinda tail off there, but I read somewhere by some famous photographer whom I'd never heard of that if you take 12 great photos in a year, it was a good year. I figure I got about 3/4 of the way there last year, but that's fine by me as I'm not really a photographer by any stretch.

I'm off to Africa again in 10 days and won't be back 'till mid-April but I hope I can catch up with some of you Ottawa folk when I get back! In the meantime I'll be with my peeps in the outback:

1454241240_7a70390912.jpg

Edited by Guest

• 6 months later...

wow. blast from the past. I saw this thread and thought "hey! who's in Bamako?" :)

PM me with any info you might need. Would be happy to help.

No idea of my schedule for the fall yet, since I start work in September, but there's a decent chance I could be in West Africa during that time (more likely to be Dakar or Accra, but who knows). You flying via Casablanca?

Awesome Phorbs! I suppose Kampala is a bit of a hike but if you happen to be heading in that direction, I'd love to have some guests. Are there any music fests happening in November?

I'd like to make it to Mali while I'm in "the area" but not sure yet if I'll make it. Looks like I'll be in Zanzibar for XMas though!

Depends on your budget but here are a few I liked...

Bamako, Catholic mission is cheap but a bit of a pain in the ass. I stayed at hotel Tamana (http://www.hoteltamana.com/anglais/enter.htm)which is a bit pricier and away from the centre but really nice. It's great to have a pool too! Lots of bars nearby too. Hit the hogon and/or djembe for weekend music. The markets are great in BKO as well. Try to get a visit in the Centre Culturel Francais if there's something going on there (http://www.ccfbko.org.ml/). Good hub of activity. If you're on the way back and are craving air-con, pasta, draft beer, etc. There's a bar that all the Peace Corps kids hang out at that's great for that, but I forget the name. I'm sure you can find out by asking around. Then again you may not want that at all on a short trip. My mindset was kinda different since I was going back to Dakar and not Montreal!

I think the djoliba is popular in Segou but it was closed when I went. I stayed at the place next door which was decent and not too expensive. Forget the name.

In Mopti (actually Sevare) I stayed at Mac's Refuge and it's great. Amazing breakfast away from all the rucus. Definitely take a boatride on the Niger there.

In Djenne every place sucks. We stayed at Chez Baba and it was pretty shit. The bright side is it's cheap.

For Dogon, try to connect with Oumar Guinde (Peace Corps Oumar) for a good english-speaking guide. The number I have for him is +223 936 8531 but who knows if it still works. Mac's in Sevare will have his contact details. An awesome thing to do in Ende (I'm pretty sure that's where, ask Oumar for confirmation) is to hike up to the waterfalls at the end of the day (you'll be sweaty dirty and tired) and go for a swim in the pools at the foot of the falls. Cool and refreshing. Bring a couple of beer along and it's the best thing ever.

Edited by Guest

You know it simply amazes me how they make such buildings and monuments from such basic materials as Clay , Mud, Straw, Sut, and other such basic materials! I love seeing these pictures as a mason! Adobi Bricks all the way!

The djenne mosque is pretty fucking amazing.

Here's a better photo than I was able to get:

Africa12.jpg

Every year (or few years, I forget) the followers from the mosque work at rebuilding the walls, and it's a big celebration.

DjenneRemudding1.JPG

Edited by Guest

• 4 months later...

wow, there is grass there in your photos blane! we just got back and it was sooo dry and dusty. we had an AMAZING time though :)

oh and we visited the place where the waterfalls WERE hehe the pools were dry and way up we saw a tiny trickle dripping down the rock. ha!

Edited by Guest