Jambands.ca

put the chicken before the egg.

timouse

Link to full story.

Will Burnaby chicken out?

Diane Haynes, Special to Burnaby Now

Published: Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Fried, poached, boiled or scrambled with tomato, basil and pine nuts, I like my eggs. So imagine my surprise when I first discovered - well into my 30s - that eggs aren't yellow. At least, they're not supposed to be. Those small, wan yolks are pale imitations of the healthy, organic eggs that come from naturally fed, free-ranging chickens. Real eggs look like a summer sunset over English Bay. They taste like it, too. Overnight, I went from paying $2.15 a dozen to $4.69 - a 118 per cent increase in my cost, true, but a small price to pay once I realized that animals are subsidizing the cheap cost of regular eggs with their lives.

The Vancouver Humane Society is pushing to end "battery" egg production (chickens in tiny cages pumping out eggs followed by a trip down mcnugget lane).

see www.chickenout.ca

Edited by Guest

I grew up in farm country and remember egg yolks being a really dark yellow, almost orange. I was treated to some home-farmed eggs not too long ago by one of my employees that has a small chicken coop. They taste SO much better, more rich, more flavor.

It's a shame what passes as food these days. I'd like to know how much less nutrients are in our fruit and vegetables compared to 30 years ago.

Thanks d-rawk, interesting read, and I love when my theories are right! The very last line is a bit troublesome though don't you think? The nutrients are there, you just have to "Eat more"!?!?! WTF! Over eating, even fruits, vegetables and whole grains is still over eating.

Sorry Tim for shifting the thread's focus from the chicken to the egg, but I LOVE EGGS!

Yeah, I agree Ms. Hux .. it's just a cut your losses thing. You need the intake of the nutrients, overeating has it's downsides, someone recommends hedging your bets and getting what you need for the near to medium term and pushing off the consequences into the future. Probably not bad advice, all things considered, but certainly miles short of an actual solution.

And I love (love!) eggs too :)

Sorry Tim for shifting the thread's focus from the chicken to the egg, but I LOVE EGGS!

focus? :) you're funny.

eggs are awesome when done right. the farmer that we buy from does rotational grazing with the chickens to give them fresh pasture to pick at. the chicken coop is an old schoolbus with the seats out and a movable electric fence. he moves the whole works around the farm following the cows. the chickens pick through the cow pats and spread the manure out, and they feast on the fly larvae in the pats keeping the fly population in check. it's brilliant, and the eggs are out of this world.

oh, and the chickens are happy (except for when they challenge the fence).

you have both just caused my brain to physically shift a millimeter or so...I love it when that happens...a whole new, refreshing take on things (actually a re-visitng, refreshing take on things!)

Why-oh-why have we let technological progress stampede over tried-and-true methods ??

(I hate all the cliches I'm using, but I'm pretty brain dead after my school's THIRD FUCKIN' INTENSELY-STRESSFUL LOCKDOWN IN A MONTH!! What is WRONG with people!?!?!?)

THERE!! now that's some 'FOCUS' for y'all