Jambands.ca

Top 20 (of top 100) Canadian Albums

AD

Interesting article here

This list was chosen by 580 Canadian musicians. Of course these lists are always somewhat controversial, but this one seems pretty balanced (meaning it's in-line with my tastes pretty much, except for Joni Mitchell, The Guess Who and Bryan Adams)

Top 100 albums chosen based on survey by 600 musicians

Oct 18, 2007 12:02 AM

Cassandra Szklarski

THE CANADIAN PRESS

Neil Young’s classic disc “Harvest†tops a list of the 100 best Canadian albums, according to a new coffee-table book coming out Thursday.

Author and music lover Bob Mersereau polled nearly 600 musicians, critics, DJs and retailers to come up with a ranking of the country’s best-loved discs for his book, “The Top 100 Canadian Albums†(Goose Lane Editions).

Joni Mitchell’s “Blue†comes in at number 2, followed by Young’s “After the Gold Rush.†Rounding out the top five are the Band’s “Music From Big Pink†and the Tragically Hip’s “Fully Completely.â€

Mersereau admits the poll results are very much a “snapshot†of today’s Canadian tastes rather than a definitive statement on the history of Canuck rock, and that the list will undoubtedly raise debate among anyone passionate about music.

“That’s the whole fun,†Mersereau says.

“The important part is to talk about Canadian music and enjoy it. This was tried to be a consensus of as many music people and music fans and big serious listeners across the country that have definite opinions. I’d be shocked if there wasn’t complaints and arguments and debates. Half of my (own) list didn’t make it.â€

A quick glance at the book reveals several repeat appearances by well-loved Canadian artists: Young comes up eight times, while the Guess Who, Mitchell and Gordon Lightfoot each have five albums on the list. The Tragically Hip have four, while Sloan have three.

“I think it’s legitimate that there are so many repeats. I can’t argue with any of these artists. I might prefer one over the other but I think it’s really good to see albums like Joni Mitchell’s ’Hissing of Summer Lawns,’ which was career suicide when it came out,†says Mersereau, a music writer and longtime arts reporter for CBC-TV in New Brunswick.

The tabulation was fairly simple, Mersereau explains in the introduction to the book, which also includes album artwork and new interviews with many of the musicians.

Each juror was asked to send in a list of their top 10 discs, using whatever criteria they wished. Each number 1 pick was awarded 10 points, with the number 2 choice given nine points, and so on.

A total of 580 responses were tallied, and Mersereau says he took pains to make sure they were drawn from a range of ages, regions and backgrounds.

“I didn’t want this to be a music nerd book ... I wanted this to be something different,†he adds.

“I wanted popularity to be in it, too, because we are talking about pop music even if it is Oscar Peterson or Glenn Gould. What’s popular, what people want, what people like, that is often scorned in critical circles, yet there’s a reason things are popular and there’s a reason things stay popular like the Guess Who or April Wine. They have the ability to make us feel great and they become important memories for us through our whole lives.â€

Amid the classics are some modern sensations. Montreal supergroup the Arcade Fire come in at number 8 with 2004’s “Funeral,†while Broken Social Scene’s 2002 disc “You Forgot It in People†lands at 28 and Feist’s 2004 disc “Let It Die†is number 43.

“It wasn’t just young people that were doing the votes for that, I had people like Stuart McLean, a CBC broadcaster, voting for Arcade Fire. Shocked me. I didn’t know Stuart was that hip, but sure is.â€

Other discs benefited from the passage of time. Hamilton punk band Simply Saucer failed to make a dent in the music scene in the mid-’70s and disappeared into obscurity until being rediscovered by a local music writer in 1987, says Mersereau.

Their early sessions were revived as vinyl copies, and then followed by a CD reissue in 2003. The music insiders who jumped on the disc pushed it onto the 36 spot of Mersereau’s list.

“Things change and people pass (albums) back and forth,†notes Mersereau.

“(Simply Saucer) never went anywhere, gave up in 1979 and (it’s a) sheer fluke that they have become so influential to a new generation.â€

Music lovers can debate their own favourites at a series of book launches to be held across the country over the next week.

Mersereau promises that a stop in Halifax this weekend will feature a special musical guest from the list.

1. "Harvest," Neil Young (Reprise, 1972)

2. "Blue," Joni Mitchell (Reprise, 1970)

3. "After the Gold Rush," Neil Young (Reprise, 1970)

4. "Music From Big Pink," The Band (Capitol, 1968)

5. "Fully Completely," The Tragically Hip (MCA, 1992)

6. "Jagged Little Pill," Alanis Morisette (Maverick, 1995)

7. "The Band," The Band (Capitol, 1969)

8. "Funeral," Arcade Fire (Merge, 2004)

9. "Moving Pictures," Rush (Anthem, 1981)

10. "American Woman," The Guess Who (RCA, 1970)

11. "Songs of Leonard Cohen," Leonard Cohen (Columbia, 1967)

12. "Reckless," Bryan Adams (A&M, 1984)

13. "Five Days in July," Blue Rodeo (Warner, 1993)

14. "Twice Removed," Sloan (Geffen, 1994)

15. "Up To Here," The Tragically Hip (MCA, 1989)

16. "Everybody Knows This is Nowhere," Neil Young with Crazy Horse (Reprise, 1969)

17. "2112," Rush (Mercury 1976)

18. "Court and Spark," Joni Mitchell (Asylum, 1974)

19. "Whale Music," Rheostatics (Sire, 1992)

20. "Acadie," Daniel Lanois (Opal, 1989)

some pretty decent picks ... nice to see the Rheos up there.

i do have a big problem with this, though ...

A quick glance at the book reveals several repeat appearances by well-loved Canadian artists: Young comes up eight times, while the Guess Who, Mitchell and Gordon Lightfoot each have five albums on the list. The Tragically Hip have four, while Sloan have three.

great artists and deserving to be on the list, no doubt, but certainly not that dominant.

Guest Low Roller

I'm guessing the criteria did not include albums having to be recorded in Canada. Good list. Very telling that there is only album from the last 12 years on there.

Very telling that there is only album from the last 12 years on there.

You readz goodz

Amid the classics are some modern sensations. Montreal supergroup the Arcade Fire come in at number 8 with 2004’s “Funeral,†while Broken Social Scene’s 2002 disc “You Forgot It in People†lands at 28 and Feist’s 2004 disc “Let It Die†is number 43.

And as a Hip fan I would say that those two selections aren't even the best for that band. That honor goes to Road Apples and Day for Night IMO.

I'd pick Fully Completely and Day for Night, myself. I think Fully Completely is a classic, with very very very few bad / dull / uninspired moments.

Very telling that there is only album from the last 12 years on there.

You readz goodz

Amid the classics are some modern sensations. Montreal supergroup the Arcade Fire come in at number 8 with 2004’s “Funeral' date='†while Broken Social Scene’s 2002 disc “You Forgot It in People†lands at 28 and Feist’s 2004 disc “Let It Die†is number 43.[/quote']

im sure he meant only one album in the top 20, AD. but carry on nit-picking ;) hehe ...

I would have hoped to see Cowboy Junkies in the top 20.

Wonder what the rest of the list is comprised of...hopefully Grapes of Wrath,TPoH and Skinny Puppy show up.

I find it odd that it's not the Top 100(insert genre) list. It's a rock list really..with a few sidesteps but not enough to be just a comprehensive "Canadian" list.I guess that might have been sorted out by the rest of the 100...if people like Murray Maclachlan,Stan Rogers etc showed up.

Neil showed up 8 times in the top 40!

Top 100 Canadian Albums

Albums, clockwise from top left: Jagged Little Pill (Alanis Morissette), Acadie (Daniel Lanois), Harvest (Neil Young), Funeral (Arcade Fire), Music From Big Pink (The Band), The Band (The Band) and Blue (Joni Mitchell).

1) Neil Young, Harvest, Reprise, 1972

2) Joni Mitchell, Blue, Reprise, 1970

3) Neil Young, After The Gold Rush, Reprise, 1970

4) The Band, Music From Big Pink, Capitol, 1968

5) The Tragically Hip, Fully Completely, MCA, 1992

6) Alanis Morissette, Jagged Little Pill, Maverick, 1995

7) The Band, The Band, Capitol, 1969

8) Arcade Fire, Funeral, Merge, 2004

9) Rush, Moving Pictures, Anthem, 1981

10) The Guess Who, American Woman, RCA, 1970

11) Leonard Cohen, Songs Of Leonard Cohen, Columbia, 1967

12) Bryan Adams, Reckless, A&M, 1984

13) Blue Rodeo, Five Days In July, Warner, 1993

14) Sloan, Twice Removed, Geffen, 1994

15) The Tragically Hip, Up To Here, MCA, 1989

16) Neil Young with Crazy Horse, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Reprise, 1969

17) Rush, 2112, Mercury, 1976

18) Joni Mitchell, Court And Spark, Asylum, 1974

19) Rheostatics, Whale Music, Sire, 1992

20) Daniel Lanois, Acadie, Opal, 1989

21) The Tragically Hip, Day For Night, MCA, 1994

22) Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Rust Never Sleeps, Reprise, 1979

23) Gordon Lightfoot, Gord's Gold, Reprise, 1975

24) Sarah Harmer, You Were Here, Universal, 2000

25) Sarah McLachlan, Fumbling Towards Ecstasy, Nettwerk, 1993

26) The Tragically Hip, Road Apples, MCA, 1991

27) Barenaked Ladies, Gordon, Sire, 1992

28) Broken Social Scene, You Forgot It In People, Arts & Crafts, 2002

29) Leonard Cohen, I'm Your Man, Columbia, 1988

30) Neil Young, Tonight's The Night, Reprise, 1975

31) Neil Young, Decade, Reprise, 1977

32) Mary Margaret O'Hara, Miss America, Virgin, 1988

33) Sarah McLachlan, Surfacing, Nettwerk, 1997

34) Sloan, One Chord To Another, Murderecords, 1996

35) Leonard Cohen, Songs Of Love And Hate, Columbia, 1971

36) Simply Saucer, Cyborgs Revisited, Mole Sound, 1989

37) k.d. lang, Ingenue, Sire, 1992

38) Rheostatics, Melville, Intrepid, 1991

39) Eric's Trip, Love Tara, Sub Pop, 1993

40) Neil Young, On The Beach, Reprise, 1974

for what album, though? he never had a smash hit album with more than one high charting single. agreed, his overall career is one of the best, but this list is for top albums. that's the problem with this sorta thing.

Actually this list is top favourites or as the author of this book put it, "a ranking of the country’s best-loved discs" from 580 musicians. So, in their opinons these are the top albums.

Each juror was asked to send in a list of their top 10 discs, using whatever criteria they wished.

But to answer your question, Sundown.

Edited by Guest