Jambands.ca

Festival Express (movie w/Dead, Band, Janis)

MuleMomma

quote:

Originally posted by bsherman:
Greg, I swear that my friend tried to get tickets earlier in the week for tomorrow's screening and they told him it was sold out.
Oh well, I'll look for you there!

Who knows bro,no biggie though,I heard one thing, you heard another...all good.

I'll keep my eye(the good one..lol) out for ya. [big Grin]

Jaimoe buddy,

Looks like I'll be meetin with ya,name the place.

How good was this?

That's rhetorical. It was SO GOOD!

Well, I loved it. I wanted to watch it again as soon as it was over!!

I love it despite the tool beside me who had no social skills whatsoever and, as such:

a) commented loudly on everything familiar to him in the film (Wow! The CNE!) or about anything he surmised he knew more than the movie was telling (For example, the part where Buddy Guy was relaying why it was such a special experience and lamenting how he'd never get to play with Jerry or Janis again...this guy decides to start loudly listing off the other performers who have since passed away...)

B) chewed on his empty water bottle, as well as banged it against his knee as a substitute for actual clapping

c) was singing loudly along to the songs to which he knew the words..singing badly...

Oh well. I loved it anyway! I am so thankful somebody filmed all that and they decided to share it with us!

And the sound was incredible!

Highly recommended.

I went to a viewing of this movie on Saturday the 13th at the elgin theatre...It will be hard to find a better rock'nroll documentary that captures the mood and experiences of such legendary artists...I was literally blown away. First of all, watching this movie in the theatre with tons of people is like viewing a rock show...everyone when nnuts for the live footage...and talk about live footage, this movie is stocked with full length performance by all the bands...and these are great performances...Janis Joplin is electrifying, what an entertainer. The dead are great, doing things up acoustically and electrically, as are the band and buddy guy. But where the movie has all other documentaries by the balls, is in the train sequences. It is very rare to get such a candid look at our rock'nroll heroes, wasted beyond beleif, jamming, hanging out and just simply enjoying themselves to the fullest. I don't really want to go into details about the scenes themselves...as it is better to just go and view this fantastic adventure about an amazing historical rock'n roll event that took place right here on the soils of Canada.

Simply amazing.

Most memorable parts for me:

-watching Pig play.

-Seeing Jerry play Buddy's guitar.

but most of all

Danko,Garcia,Joplin & Weir playing "Ain't no cane",absolutley classic.

The Janis footage is unreal.

On that note,I have recently found a copy of the Calgary show on VCD,still have 70% to download..can't wait! [big Grin]

This was easily one of the best movies I have ever seen. In fact, it's fighting with the Last Waltz right now for my favorite flick. I think it might win. What I love about both of these films (as opposed to a film like Bittersweet Motel) is that it focuses mainly on the experiences of the musicians over those of the fans.

It was a hysterical movie that had me howling. One of my favorite lines was Bobby interviewed later on in life, recounting the trip. He says something along the lines of "This was the first time any of us really learned how to DRINK. Before this train ride, we were all just doing LSD and smoking weed." This line is segwayed over a shot of Rick Danko (oh how I love Rick) struggling to open a 26er... then finally opening it with a beaming smile on his face.

As others have mentioned, the memorable moments are WAY too many to name. But it does feel like you are sharing intimate moments with some of the footage they allow us to see. Really makes you realize that they were a lot like some of us and our peers today. It almost serves to bridge that icon / idol gap.

The Janis footage literally brought chills to me... wow, what a woman she was! She was mesmerizing, had some of the best lines in the movie and her performance footage was out of this world.

Too much to say. Just know that you'll most likely LOVE this film. In fact, when I get my hands on it and watch it at home I can still see myself clapping after each performace like I did in the theatre.

So good.

[big Grin]

Archived