Jambands.ca

Tunes at The Rex this weekend

DevO

I was going by The Rex tonight on the streetcar and noticed that Jeff Coffin (from The Flecktones) was once again playing with Michael Occhipinti. Took me by surprise and I couldn't make it, but I wish I could! I seem to remember someone mentioning on here that he played at The Rex just a few weeks ago too.

Other stuff at The Rex:

- Tim Ries, sax player for The Rolling Stones (?) Thursday night at 1am

- Metalwood on Friday at 1am

- Randy Brecker (from the Brecker Brothers) on Saturday at 9:30pm

- other stuff that I don't know but maybe you do!

http://www.therex.ca/calendar/calendar.cfm

Looks like there's a lot going on. A lot of the shows in the next few days are a part of the 35th Annual International Conference of the International Association for Jazz Education (http://www.iaje.org/)

I love the Rex! It's one of the best things about Toronto. In fact, that whole section of Queen West rocks! There's a subway station right near there, a wicked comic book store, a wicked book store and a sushi restaurant. I miss visiting Toronto, but not living there. I think I will make a trek there soon. Hmmmm....maybe I'll combine my day off to go to the Auto Show with a Toronto hike! That would so kick ass!

Pardon my diversion from the topic. Go to the Rex any time of any day and you will see awesome music, get great service and the beer is cheap by Toronto standards.

One of the only things I like about the stretch of Queen Street West between University and Spadina that bokonon fondly remembers is The Rex (The Horseshoe, The Rivoli and Steve's being the only other places that don't suck). However bokonon, the gentrification of Queen West up to Spadina has ruined this once vibrant area that once housed great indie stores and cool pubs. Anyone remember Chicago's? Well that was torn down for no reason - all that remains is an empty hole where that once cool bar and small concert venue sat. Where's the hotel that was supposed to take its place Toronto? The 360 has been boarded up for years and will probably be torn down too and replaced with another glass and steel built Gap or something along those lines. The Queen Street West vibe has moved past Spadina. I hope it can last.

Anyone remember Chicago's?

No, but I remember Bakka (now moved out past Bathurst, after spending a brief time at Yonge & Wellesley), Driftwood Music (gone), Active Surplus (barely there, IIRC) and Arkon Electronics (gone). Pages is still there, though.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

I totally forgot about the Black Market! Michelle Johnson's store is inside the Black Market, it's called the Fairie's Pyjamas and has awesome designs and I think it's made of fairly traded fabrics, too!

Am I alone in loving the Silver Snail? ;) Pardon me, my nerdiness is hanging out.

I totally forgot about the Black Market! Michelle Johnson's store is inside the Black Market, it's called the Fairie's Pyjamas and has awesome designs and I think it's made of fairly traded fabrics, too!

Am I alone in loving the Silver Snail? ;) Pardon me, my nerdiness is hanging out.

Nice call Bokonon... my friend Christina works there part time when she's not in school in Oshawa...

I'm with Jaimoe.I find that stretch one of the least interesting in Toronto...though I do think that most pretentious Toronto newbies think its the height of coolness.Blech.

I like the Silver Snail but I LOVE The Beguiling.I went there last weekend and remembered just how much I love the endearing lack of social skills but overwhelming amount of knowledge of the staff.

As far as artsy Queen goes...it seems to start at Dufferin these days..though it will keep moving west when the Bohemian Embassy is built.

I'm with Jaimoe.I find that stretch one of the least interesting in Toronto...though I do think that most pretentious Toronto newbies think its the height of coolness.Blech.

For the record, I would by no means consider that stretch of Queen St to be "cool"! :)