Jambands.ca

HBO's Rome starts tonight on History Channel!

Jaimoe

One of the best series of the past 5 years, Rome starts tonight. I hope History doesn't cut the hell out of the show - and I think they won't touch it (although the first episode has some full-frontal nudity). The first season is set at the time of Julius Caesar and features all the famous people and events surrounding and interacting with Julius, however the series as a whole centres around two gladiators (real-life ones at that): Vorenus and Pullo, both great anti-heroes, especially Pullo. The dialogue and intricate plot and the large interactive cast is tricky to follow in the early episodes, but once you get used to everything, the show is incredible. Season II is marginally better than I, but both are great. Keep an eye on that coward Brutus and his manipulative mother.

rome10-18.jpg

The cast across the board is excellent and the plots are fascinating. Vorenus and Pullo make a great duo, even if they appear to hate each other. Ciaran Hinds makes an excellent Julius and James Purefoy's arrogant Marc Antony is a scene stealer throughout the series.

Here's a cast page link which also connects to the series home site: http://www.hbo.com/rome/cast/

It took me two episodes to get into the series since it is dense character and plot-wise. However, once I got past the language and weaving threads, I couldn't get enough. Vorenus and Pullo are the soul of the show. Keep another eye on the brat genius Octavian, Julius' nephew.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hick, glad you liked it. Wasn't it amazing? I could watch that shit endlessly.

Leaves you wanting more eh? I really hope they do something with it. Maybe a couple of TV movies, mini series, whatever.

Legion XIII FOREVER!!

Now, have you watched Deadwood yet??? That's next on your list if you haven't. Thanks to the good folks here, me and the wife got just as hooked on it as Rome! Let me know if you need it :)