Jambands.ca

Neil Young Archive News

AD

Strange. Why do this?

Earlier today Billboard announced that Neil Young’s latest plan, per his much delayed Archives project, is to release the set in a multi-media format, exclusively on Blu-Ray and DVD. Yup, you heard him: no compact discs. Share you thoughts on this news in the comments. I imagine a number of us will be ripping the audio content, and uploading it to our iPods and/or creating our own CDrs.

“I know it’s in technical production now, but it’s only coming out on Blu-ray and DVD,†(Young) said during an interview at the Sundance Film Festival, where he and his Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young bandmates unveiled their “Deja Vu†documentary. “There won’t be CDs. Technology has caught up to what the concept was in the first place [and] how we’re able to actually present it. But there’s no doubt it will come out this year.â€

It's not really that big of a surprise. Neil, like Dylan, has always been pretty outspoken about his extreme dislike of CDs. He has said many times that the limited frequency range available detracts from the music and that he'd one day like to have all his albums deleted in this format.

I look forward to getting it the archives on DVD.

Thankfully it's not just going to be on Blueray, I just picked up a DVD-A player last year. 028ws9.gif

Now that the prices have dropped to affordable for DVD-A players I imagine we'll see more artists going in this direction, or at least more artists offering DVD-A and Blueray recordings.

Looking forward it.

i'd bet the majority of people who have dvd players only have it hooked up to their tv and not an audiophile stereo system that can reproduce the frequencies he is pining over.

but whatever, he's neil young, he can do what he wants.

i'd bet the majority of people who have dvd players only have it hooked up to their tv and not an audiophile stereo system that can reproduce the frequencies he is pining over.

but whatever, he's neil young, he can do what he wants.

We need to start a pool : how many new albums will Neil Young release between now and when the Archives finally comes out?