Jambands.ca

wireless networking question (for Macs)

Mr. Photogeek

So I'm running an older emac in my home office and I also have a new MacBook that I want to be able to take wherever I happen to be in the house. We have highspeed DSL. I am completely ignorant when it comes to wireless networking. What should I be looking for with a wireless router? I will essentially be using the laptop for web browsing and email when I'm at home and won't need to be doing any downloading, so can i go to Futureshop and get whatevers on sale? there is a Belkin one that is 54 mbps (802.11g) for 39.95...will that be OK? Also can i plug the router into any phone line in the house and still keep the emac plugged into the modem? As i said i don't even know where to start...

thanks!

Your modem will get plugged into the Router, there should be an UPLINK port. YOur eMac will be plugged into the Router. So your eMac is now Wired and then you can wirelessly use your MacBook.

This is exactly what I am doing as my old iMac is not Airport ready. Realistically any decent Router should work. I use Linksys ones but DLink should be no different.

i was slow on this. that's all you need to do. but try and get a wireless router that also supports 802.11n although they do appear to be a tad more expensive. I think that's what your new macbook supports and it's much faster than g.

mind you, if you just get 802.11 g support, you'll be streaming vids and music just fine. I just find large file transfers over the network take a little long.