Jambands.ca

Stop Getting Junk Mail!

DevO

Check this out.. You can reduce all the junk mail that you get through Canada Post by filling out this form.

All the info is at this site:

http://www.reddotcampaign.ca/

And here's an article on it from the Globe & Mail:

Website helps Canadians stop junk mail

MICHAEL OLIVEIRA

Canadian Press

February 10, 2008 at 1:05 PM EST

TORONTO — With just a few seconds of effort, anyone can easily shrink their impact on the environment by telling Canada Post to stop delivering junk mail — but only two per cent of Canadian homes have done it.

Beth Ringdahl's website, www.reddotcampaign.ca, spells out a simple two-step process to block junk mail: It's as easy as filling out a downloaded form and leaving a note on your mailbox.

For more than a decade, Canada Post has been quietly acknowledging such requests, halting junk mail deliveries and marking a homeowner's internal file with a red dot — hence the name of Ms. Ringdahl's campaign.

The website's only been up and running for a couple of weeks, but word is spreading fast.

Ms. Ringdahl says the letter has been downloaded more than 2,300 times, her Facebook group has swelled to more than 850 members and grateful visitors are e-mailing everyone they know about the site.

“People are really happy to learn about a way they can reduce the waste in their lives,†she said.

“(The campaign) is like a friendly reminder saying, ‘Hey guys, here's something you can do that will take away some clutter and save some trees.â€'

Canada Post spokeswoman Lillian Au said Ringdahl's campaign is unnecessary — Canadians, she says, have known for years about the opt-out option.

“It has been in place since 1997, so we feel that we've done a good job and people know that they have that right,†Ms. Au said.

Ms. Au acknowledged that unaddressed advertising mail is one of Canada Post's fastest growing revenue streams — it brought in $339-million in 2006, up 14.4 per cent from 2005 — and helps keep costs down for consumers, while allowing small businesses to advertise in an affordable way.

Almost all of the promotional mail is recyclable and printed on recycled paper, she added.

But Ms. Au also confirmed Ringdahl's theory that marketers would likely end up printing fewer flyers if there were fewer homes that received the junk mail.

“We make regular updates to our mailers, who can adjust the amount of material being printed so they don't print excess flyers,†Ms. Au said.

Ms. Ringdahl said she never intended to do battle with Canada Post, and instead applauds its policy. She's just trying to do a better job promoting it.

“I really think this is a world-class system that they have set up, and I don't want it to be a cop out (for) the individual, saying, ‘Oh, Canada Post didn't tell me how to do this.â€'

Her next goal is to target homeowners who don't speak or understand English so the campaign's reach grows even further.

Valerie Langer of the environmental group Forest Ethics applauded the campaign, which she said was a mystery to even those who are working to protect Canadian forests.

“It's giving people the kind of information that starts them thinking and allows them to act in a way that conserves paper and therefore forests,†Ms. Langer said.

Ms. Langer herself just recently learned about opting out, she added.

If homeowners decide they do want to stop receiving junk mail, Ms. Au said printing out the letter on Ms. Ringdahl's website isn't necessary; a note on the mailbox — inside the door if the box is in an apartment building or condo — will suffice.

A warning, however: stopping junk mail also halts delivery of municipal-service notices such as town hall meeting announcements and snow removal and garbage pickup schedules, Ms. Au said.

red_dot_logo_07.gif

M- all you have to do on each call is to ask them to remove you from their calling database ("No thank you I am not interested, but I would like to ask that you remove my phone number from all of your databases"). This is a legal request that they have to follow. Any call center has a team responsible for the call numbers and most of them remove rather than add phone numbers.

And thanks KevO I just came over here to post this........

sean, from what i know that's only in the states, and it works the other way - you have to ask to add your name to the do-not-call database, not to remove from the call database.

and for the junk mail, according to the Star today and the article posted above all you have had to do since 1997 is just put a note on your mailbox stating that you don't want mass-mailed stuff.

Too bad the only junk mail I get isn't delivered by CP - even with the "no Flyers" sign we get shitloads..

What I'm trying to figure out is how to block all those calls from fax machines & from skype numbers...gotta love getting calls at 4am from numbers like > 000-000-0000, 123-456-7890 or ones that just say "California" instead of a number....reporting the numbers to my provider doesn't seem to help.

I see that I'm not the only one either according to reports here. >> http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-000-000-0000

Thats the shit that really drives me up a wall..

M- all you have to do on each call is to ask them to remove you from their calling database ("No thank you I am not interested, but I would like to ask that you remove my phone number from all of your databases"). This is a legal request that they have to follow.

does this actually work for you? doesn't for me. despite my request for them not to call, they continue.

Yes this works. The system in the US is slightly different, as the Canadian govt went soft on this issue- because they allowed a loophole that charitys/ political parties and some research firms are allowed to call you anyway.

And obviously you can't just ask one person not to call and expect them all to stop it takes time. Other than the PC party, I very very rarely get a call anymore- but I made a solid habit of telling them to remove me years ago and I do it every time they call.

S

About the Canadian "Do Not Call" list...

News release

July 3, 2007

CRTC moves a step closer to establishing a National Do Not Call List

OTTAWA-GATINEAU — In a decision issued today, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) set out rules for the creation and operation of a National Do Not Call List (National DNCL) for Canadians who wish to avoid unsolicited calls. These rules will come into effect once an operator has been chosen and the list is fully operational.

The Commission also determined that it would seek out an independent operator for the list and issue a Request for Proposal (RFP) later this month to solicit bids from parties. The information made public today ensures that potential bidders on the RFP are fully informed. It also allows the public and the industry to familiarize themselves with the changes and to prepare for the implementation of the National DNCL.

Once an operator has been selected and has taken the necessary steps to put the list into operation, Canadians who prefer not to receive unsolicited calls will be able to add, at no charge, their numbers to the database. Telemarketers will be prohibited from calling consumers who are registered on the list. However, there are certain exemptions to the list, most of which are provided for in the Telecommunications Act. These include unsolicited calls made by or on behalf of:

registered charities;

political parties;

nomination contestants, leadership contestants or candidates of a political party;

opinion polling firms;

general-circulation newspapers;

organizations that have an existing business relationship with a consumer; and

organizations to business consumers.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/NEWS/RELEASES/2007/r070703.htm

Bell to administer telemarketer do-not-call list

Last Updated: Friday, December 21, 2007 | 2:46 PM ET

CBC News

The CRTC has picked Bell Canada to operate the National Do Not Call List, giving the company a five-year mandate to block calls from telemarketers for customers who request the service.

Bell will be responsible for registering numbers, providing telemarketers with up-to-date versions of the list and receiving customer complaints about telemarketing calls. The CRTC said it has not yet been decided how those complaints will be resolved, but that should be determined early in the new year.

Phone customers can register their numbers with Bell at no extra charge, and telemarketers are required to subscribe to the list, which the CRTC said must be operational by Sept. 30. Telemarketers must pay Bell to operate the list.

Certain organizations are exempt from the list. They include charities, political parties, opinion-polling firms, newspapers and organizations that have an existing relationship with the customer.

Currently, people have to contact each telemarketing company individually to ask for their numbers to be stricken from the lists. With the new registry, they'll be able to make one call and be added to a master list that each telemarketing company will be bound to follow.

Violators will face a hefty fine at $15,000 per infraction for companies and $1,500 for individuals.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/12/21/tech-calling.html

Edited by Guest

what happens when an american company calls a canadian number?

i know people that work in american-company call centres here in ottawa that are instructed to hang up as soon as they think a person is asking to be added to the do-not-call list. if they don't finish the sentence before the call is disconnected it doesn't count as a request.

On December 21, 2007 [3], the CRTC announced that it had picked Bell Canada to operate the National Do Not Call List for five years. It is to be funded from fees paid by subscribers to the list and is to be operational by September 30, 2008.

The Canadian Marketing Association offers a free "Do Not Contact Service". The service is limited to screening telemarketing from participating companies only. Registration can be sought by mail, phone or online at their website http://www.the-cma.org. After registration, it takes six weeks to be effective and lasts for just three years.