Jambands.ca

Turn your BBQ into a smoker

M.O.B.E

You can buy woodchips for grills at any hardware/home store i.e. Crappy Tire, Home Depot...

I use a 50/25/25 blend of Hickory, Cherry and Applewood. Soak the woodchips overnight in water.

You will also need a 8"x10" aluminum roasting pan or tin foil.

Drain the wood chips well and place them in the pan or wrap them really well in foil paper and poke holes in the paper.

Remove one side of the grill rack and turn the heat on high till the whole BBQ is around 500F or hotter.

Place the woodchips in the side you have removed the grillrack from and lower the heat as low as possible to maintain a flame on that side and shut the rest of the burners off completely. Close the lid. It wont take long to get smoke.

Once you have smoke. Quickly lift the lid and watch your face because the smoke will roll back pretty heavy. Place whatever you want to smoke on the top rack on the side away from the heat and woodchips. Close the lid.

If you are smoking meat this takes a while to be done. I recommend using a meat thermometer*. Fish takes about 25 minutes to be done and veggies** go until soft.

* beef is at a safe temp around 140F which is medium

chicken and pork is safely done at 165F

** I reccomend smoking eggplant; see my Baba Ganouj recipe and tomatoes work really well too and make a nice soup after.

Hope that is easy enough to follow. There is a few other ways to do it but this is the best and easiest way I know.

Thanks for tips! I tried this a few times with roast beef last summer. I basically followed the recipe from the Licence to Grill guy. It worked out well, but he made smaller foil pouches of wood chips, and did a mixture of dry and wet chips). I had to change the pouches fairly frequently, which meant I had to lift the lid, losing smoke and heat. I can't wait to get back on the grill. I haven't been using the Q much in this weather.

The dry and wet thing works too but I like to take my time with things and do them low and slow when I have the time. You can use a mix but things go alot quicker and you have to pay close attention to whats going on in there the whole time or risk losing control of the temp like you said. Also if you use only a wet mix you dont have to change packages.

Its all a matter of personal preference really and I dont like to rush things. If I dont have time I smoke my meats the day before and then reheat them the same way on the top rack slowly but without the wood chips.

• 5 weeks later...

I can't wait to try out this technique. Our Q quickly degraded over it's short lifespan from rusting burners and cast iron grills. So instead of getting another gas Q for this season, I picked up a classic Weber kettle barbecue. The weather is gorgeous enough that I can see part of our deck now where snow has melted. I'm going to put it in that spot and fire up some coals to see what it makes.

I'm betting on some bbq'd quesadillas and fire roasted tomato, jalapeno, red pepper, and grilled pineapple salsa.