Jambands.ca

Zaphod Beeblebrox: Night Club

SaggyBalls

I really dig the idea of the early shows. As I've seen countless fans leave concerts around midnight anyway, it's a great way to see an entire show and then go to another, for the earlynighters to deke out and not break up the mood...

...and a great chance to have a night of DJ loveliness and great cocktails without a cover if you're just into going out to a bar but like the vibe and tunes.

there's just less pre-drinky.

It's enough to drive a man to drugs and it's pretty close to the hookers and crack dealers.

win win?

(zaphods then mavericks...come now...more concert...and a chance to have pre/after parties depending on the crowd)

I'm sure Velvet has an absolutely crushing argument.

Does anyone REALLY want to be there all night?

It would be an ok idea if it was advertised more clearly and the dj's music didn't suck. I went there and to be absolutely honest I hated it. It just seemed like the live music had to be rushed through in order to have enough time for the focus of the night... prerecorded music. Pretty lame. I guess it would be OK though if you could leave in time to catch a REAL show somewhere else afterwards...

...and a great chance to have a night of DJ loveliness and great cocktails without a cover if you're just into going out to a bar but like the vibe and tunes.

i agree with everything you said, except there definitely is a cover. $3 until 11:30, $5 after. it was just raised. $5 cover is ridiculous.

It would be an ok idea if it was advertised more clearly and the dj's music didn't suck. I went there and to be absolutely honest I hated it. It just seemed like the live music had to be rushed through in order to have enough time for the focus of the night... prerecorded music. Pretty lame. I guess it would be OK though if you could leave in time to catch a REAL show somewhere else afterwards...

show times are usually advertised. your taste might differ from the dj's. these are comments that could be addressed to any venue, non?

if the live music feels rushed at Zaphods, blame the band or your expectations, not the venue. Eugene isn't on the side of the stage with a cattle prod. Zaphods definitely has its pros and cons, but on average, they have 6 nights of original live music every week - I don't think that is lame at all. As for your "real show" comment, that sounds like an insult to the bands that are playing there. is their effort or skill not real to you?

Tonight, I'll be at Zaphods to see Ladyhawk, Immaculate Machine, and Videotape. Doors are at 8 pm, tickets are $10 advance, maybe slightly higher at the door.

i agree with everything you said' date=' except there definitely is a cover. $3 until 11:30, $5 after. it was just raised. $5 cover is ridiculous.[/quote']

Isn't it free if you pay your cover for the bands and stay for the DJs?

Aloha,

Brad

if the live music feels rushed at Zaphods, blame the band or your expectations, not the venue. Eugene isn't on the side of the stage with a cattle prod.

Well, pretty much he is. Anytime I've played there I've been told, "Play one minute past 11pm and you'll never play here again. If your gear isn't completely off the stage by 11:15 you have to pick it up tomorrow night." I actually used to go there quite a bit and the only band I ever saw him let play past 11 was moe. I remember seeing Dread Zeppelin before their set chopping up their setlist so they could be done in time.

And that's not why I hate Zaphod's. I hate Zaphod's because Eugene is an egomainiac who claims to be the savior of the Ottawa music scene while he takes money from the bands and puts it in his own pocket.

i'm not eugene's biggest fan, but if a band is given a set time from 10:15 to 11, it's not that hard to stick to that, is it? play the hand you're dealt. sucks for spontaneity, and isn't the best for fluid creative types or fans, but oh well.

also, you're right about eugene being an egomaniac who takes too much from bands. but, he books a ton of shows and gives a lot of exposure to local and national acts. stikes me as that is a good thing. there's no other venue in town that does that.

"We'll be right back after a ten minute break" is a pretty easy thing to stick to as well, but bands never do. There's Eugene trying to change us all again.

And yes, the place "...sucks for spontaneity, and isn't the best for fluid creative types or fans, but oh well." I suppose so long as you're in bed by midnight those kind of sacrifices are a-okay. Not for me, thanks.

And yes, he certainly gives all the young bands an oppourtunity to gain experience, and learn early that the music biz is rife with money-grubbing sleazeballs at every level.

There are other venues in town that support local and international acts nightly. The Rainbow comes to mind. Barrymores did until Eugene ran it into the ground in six months.