Jambands.ca

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame news

M

Below is some info on the new candidates eligible to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Has anyone here been there recently? It's located in Cleveland, Ohio and I had the chance to make a trip there about 7 or 8 years ago and loved the experience.

Some notable experiences from that trip included:

- seeing the display of Rolling Stone magazine covers spanning the decades they had on a wall

- recreation of set of Pink Floyd's "The wall"

- of course the "costumes" (clothes) of performers like Janis Joplin... and realizing the actual stature of certain performers (!)

- lucking out that Neil Diamond was in town that night and going to see him play at the arena down the street from my hotel... being squeezed into a seat b/w 2 rather large women squeezed themselves into "neil diamond tour '72" shirts and them thinking how strange it was I was there solo.. making friends with them and "rocking" out to good ole Neil

I'd love to go back to the Hall of Fame... interested what new updates have been made in the past years to the displays...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

from chartattack

George Harrison, The Stooges Nominated For Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame

The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame people have been inducting some of the greatest legends in music since 1983 and they’re now gearing up for the 2004 ceremony with the announcement of a new crop of nominees.

George Harrison, Prince, Jackson Browne and John Mellencamp are among the candidates for the 19th annual awards show that may also see The Dells, The "5" Royales, Bob Seger, The Stooges, Traffic and ZZ Top up for consideration.

The ballots have already been mailed out to over 1,000 voting members of the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Foundation, which is made up of rock experts and historians. They vote based on the criteria of the artists’ influence and significance to rock over the years and their contribution to the development of the genre.

In order to qualify for a nomination, artists only become eligible 25 years after their debut record was released. And although 10 names have been nominated this year, only five to seven performers are inducted each year.

Besides these classic artists, the Hall Of Fame also pays tribute to other influential people who represent the embodiment of rock. These include non-performers (usually radio DJs and journalists), early influences (artists whose music who had an impact on rock but predate the actual genre), and side performers – a category introduced in 2000 that acknowledges musicians out of the spotlight who’ve made their career as back-up or session musicians.

Past nominees who didn’t make it in but are trying again this year include The Sex Pistols, Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynard, Gram Parsons and Patti Smith. Last year the Hall of Fame inducted AC/DC, The Clash, Elvis Costello And The Attractions, The Police and The Righteous Brothers.

The new batch of inductees will be announced in December.

quote:

Originally posted by M:

Has anyone here been there recently? It's located in Cleveland, Ohio and I had the chance to make a trip there about 7 or 8 years ago and loved the experience.

Back in July, I went to Deer Creek for Phish with Mr. Musicface and Jeff from Uncle Seth, but we went via Cleveland on Sunday for Blues Traveller [big Grin] .

The next morning, we went to the Hall of Fame, and had a blast. We didn't have a lot of time, which was a shame; you should really plan on taking a whole day to see it (they give you a wristband, so if you want to duck out and get lunch somewhere, you can get back in).

Being a gearhead, it was a lot of fun seeing the equipment (e.g., Pete Townsend's amps, or the various musicians' guitars). There was one display case about Rolling Stone magazine, that had some of the original correspondence with Hunter S. Thompson about "Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas", which floored me (being a big HST fan).

They even have a VW microbus in the downstairs lobby covered in stickers, and to which you can put your own stickers (sadly, I had none with me, and the Uncle Seth guys left theirs in the car [Mad] ).

Aloha,

Brad

Archived