Jambands.ca

Shows at The Church

DevO

Hey all,

Just an inquiry about the general state of the shows going on this past week at the Church on Berekely. How much BS do you have to put up with before getting in? I know night #1 (MMJ) was a rough start but maybe the staff have gotten their shit together as the week went on...? I am on the fence about heading down tonight for Yo La Tengo - really don't feel up to standing around in a line for an hour or two.

The only night that I was overly interested in was Kaki King and we were in line for about 20 minutes and then were let in. We got a table not 15 feet away from her and it was killer. From what I've read, that must have been a slow night.

On saturday for the stars, we were lined up around 6:15-6:30, maybe 25 people in front of us.

The doors did not open on time at 6:45. The only people I saw go inside at first were friends and family of the bands.

Then folks running the show made an announcement that anyone on the band's or the label's lists were asked to go line up on the Berkeley side of the entrance. The RSVP list stayed on the other side.

We waited some more and then the industry line got to go in. It was quite a big line and I was wondering if we would even get in at that point.

It took quite a while but eventually we got our wrist bands and got to go in.

I think we waited until at least 7:45 before we got to go in.

I think everyone who was lined up eventually got to go in even thought they made it sound like there wasn't much room left when we got our wristbands.

We had a great time standing right in front of the bar ;)

Islands were OK, not familiar with them. Stars were good, would like to see the HDvideo of this as the camera shots we could see looked better than the real thing.

Had a fun night with Groove Fetish, Weirdness and Phishtaper.

I know a camera man working on these gigs. He said tonight's Tengo show has 1500 names on the list with only 300 spots available. If you want to go, line-up early.

I'd like to add that most people bring one guest, which isn't included in the spot total.

If they let the total list count go as high as whatever let's stay conservative with your initial comment of 1500 let alone a plus one on top of that to make it at least 2500+, then that is just awful! even if half those people show up then with only 300 spots I guess you had better be there early and prepare to wait.

Hopefully we get in- we'll give it a try anyway~!

We'll hope for some first timers luck.

Also will add- Have had a great time seeing the Skanks at Both MMJ and Stars/Islands as well as enjoying the shows.

Even with a wait- you can't beat free!

True, it is free and I have no place complaining! But I don't think I could even make it down there until around 8pm tonight anyways. Looks like I'm gonna give it a pass. :\

For those going, have fun! For anyone who wants to go but isn't on the list, feel free to try and use my name (I'm on the RSVP list).

i have a feeling there are a lot of people whose names are on the list but are unable to attend.

im confused about the n=1500 on the list. why would they have even bothered compiling one that large? nice people, but they just didnt seem that organized to me.

but a big YAY for free, and good!, concerts!

i have a feeling there are a lot of people whose names are on the list but are unable to attend.

im confused about the n=1500 on the list. why would they have even bothered compiling one that large? nice people, but they just didnt seem that organized to me.

but a big YAY for free, and good!, concerts!

Overbooking an audience is playing it smart. All shows do it, especially programs like Conan and Leno and their ilk. It's pretty pathetic seeing empty seats at a live TV show.

That's pretty ridiculous. Overbooking 5:1 for say... bands like MMJ make me think these concert series folk don't even really know the bands that they're booking. People are going to show up for a free MMJ show. That stuff doesn't come around too often. Not saying the MMj show was over sold by 1200 people, but still.

That's pretty ridiculous. Overbooking 5:1 for say... bands like MMJ make me think these concert series folk don't even really know the bands that they're booking. People are going to show up for a free MMJ show. That stuff doesn't come around too often. Not saying the MMj show was over sold by 1200 people, but still.

I think they over-book for every band, just some get better turnouts. It looks like the producers were caught off-guard by the MMJ turnout and may be adjusting booking/guest policy on the fly.

if there were 1500 people on the guest list then only a very small fraction of them turned up- was not a hard one to get into at all. kevO you likely could have come at 8 and not a worry have gotten in.

Was a very down tempo very chatty show- I mean them not the audience.

interesting -makes me want to listen to them more.

Hope this show series comes around again- Basher your our link! (I did look for a mailing list to sign up for but no go)