Jambands.ca

RDS smoking CBC

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

RDS set a ratings record last night, one that is certain to last – till tomorrow.

Game 5 drew an average audinece of 1,737,000 viewers, becoming the most-watched program in the history of the French all-sports network. Viewership peaked (although Canadiens didn't) in the third period at an astounding 2,330,000. The network's share in Quebec – defined as its percentage of TV sets in use – was 50, which is unheard of in the 100-channel universe.

RDS's previous record was 1,736,000 for Game 2 last Saturday.

Average audience for the first five games of the series is 1,591,000. The comparable number in 2006, when Canadiens were eliminated in the first round by Carolina, was 1,189,000.

RDS's ratings are scaring the bejeezus out of the CBC, which has announced Hockey Night in Canada will carry all Canadiens Saturday home games during the team's centennial season.

Well whoopy-doo. What better way to celebrate 100 years of proud hockey history than by hearing Bob Cole try to say "Kostitsyn"?

Where were all these fair-weather-fan viewers when the Habs were finishing 10th and 7th in the conference when RDS first had the contract?

Oh wait, that kind of retard talk only belongs in the Go Sens Go thread, right?

Sure do, fatso.

Roller, shame on you for not coming to my defense. Let me take this opportunity to share a story I like to call...

Dave Rahmer - Greatest Wing Man Ever: The David Rahmer Story

Den Haag, Netherlands

Summer 2001

Roller Suavé was macking on a belle from la belle provence, I was busy getting crunked on Heineken when I was called into duty to occupy the trademark homely friend. No problem, right? Well said friend didn't speak a word of English. Still no problem, right, I did French immersion as a kid. To add to my problems though, I was involved in great conversation with some other broads from Orange County who were seated to our left (and I may have an unconfirmed touch of jungle fever too). So translating the conversation from english to french and back again, entertaining the homely friend and convincing the Americans to keep buying me Heineken was the task.

(I see that game 7 is starting, so I'll need to end this quick.)

Let's just say that my French was just fluent enough to buy Roller enough time to get that date. And get myself drunk.

Fin.

Guest Low Roller

::comes running into the room::

Sorry I'm late. Sorry I'm late. What did I miss?

Ah. The wingman tale. An epic story of romance, adventure, and boozy fun. Thanks to Dave-O's heroic bilingual juggling, he managed to occupy three ladies at once while I worked on the girl of interest. She was a cutey from the Montreal region. Silky blonde hair, rosy cheeks, cute dimples, and great cans. After some playful conversation, some flirtation through sketching, and several pints to lower her defences, I got the date. It was a glorious time.

Sadly, this romantic story comes to a tragic conclusion that not even Shakespeare was bold enough to tell. She dumped me during the Radiohead concert at Parc Jean Drapeau in 2001.

So yes, Dave-O can speak French. And RDS is the superior station.

Fin.

Guest Low Roller

Another RDS Record

Average audience for Game 7 was 2.03 million viewers. Viewership peaked at 3.08 million at the end of Canadiens' series-clinching win.

RDS's market share for the telecast was 52 per cent. This is absolutely unheard of in the 100- (and 200- to 400-) channel universe.

Previous record was Game 6's average of 1.88 million.

When I saw Pierre Houde in the media room before the game I asked if he had a ratings bonus clause.

"No," Houde said, with a grimace. ""But my contract is up for renewal."

Memo to RDS: Give the man a raise. Yvon, too.

• • •

Another memo to RDS: Bring Chantal Machabée back to your in-game Canadiens coverage.

Chantal is doing avant-match only for the playoffs.

Bummer.

Of course, I'm totally biased. I'd rather watch Chantal than the actual game.

Guest Low Roller

I believe that there exists a journal that chronicles Dave-O and Roller's Excellent Adventure, including the aforementioned Wingman Tale.