Jambands.ca

Top 50 Restaurants of the World 2008

jaybone

i was very fortunate to study in lyon where paul bocuse has a few restaurants and many other top chefs. the food there was so amazing.

last weekend i was in nice to celebrate my uncle's 75th, and the dinner was catered by a famous chef (bruno) who specializes in truffles. 6 courses of amazing stuff (well except the first - truffled asparagus soup served cold which i didn't care for) highlighted by truffles.... lobster, lamb, potatoes, chocolate, it was all so good. yummers.

i will admit that when in new orleans a couple of years ago, we were advised to try NOLA, Emeril's newer, younger and trendier place. "it's booked weeks in advance during jazzfest, but call them right at 3:00, that's when they may have a cancellation available." (amazing what shared-cab riders tell ya) ... $225-plus later, we had probably the best meal we've ever had.

yes, come on lotta numbers! come to poppa!

Predictable choices, most or all have michelin stars.

Places like Per Se and Alinea...maybe it's just my tastes...but the molecular gastronomy thing for me is about as passé as roasted red pepper soup and sundried tomatoes.

I know that making "smoked salmon bubbles" and "frozen steak tartare" or whatever takes skill, I just can't help feeling like it's novelty and not real cooking.