Jambands.ca

Bus Fares went up July 1

rubberdinghy

I would have thought the increase was mostly due to higher fuel prices.

It's only 2 bucks when you pay with tickets. A fair fare if you ask me.

What's ridiculous is, the fares collected only cover about 50% of the actual cost of operating the buses. Approx. $400 of my property taxes this year went to public transportation.

What's ridiculous is, the fares collected only cover about 50% of the actual cost of operating the buses. Approx. $400 of my property taxes this year went to public transportation.

Why is that ridiculous? We all pay taxes to cover basic needs such as roads, water service, transit etc... What is actually ridiculous is how much of your taxes go toward road maintenance and expansion so that people can live the single-occupancy-vehicle lifestyle and avoid the icky bus at any cost...

What is ridiculous is the fact that we have billions od dollars in anual budgetary surpluses and we still have to pay to ride the bus at all.

Public Transit should be that - PUBLIC.

Mass transit like inter-city buses and trains deserve to be helped along to grow their infrastructure to keep up with society's demands...

...like when gasoline costs $5 a litre and we can't afford to drive our cars at all and the government will have to put up for us.

It's not difficult to set cities up to run trolley buses so we can just use hydroelectric power to get our people where they need without emissions.

(i apologize for getting off topic here)

What's ridiculous is' date=' the fares collected only cover about 50% of the actual cost of operating the buses. Approx. $400 of my property taxes this year went to public transportation. [/quote']

Why is that ridiculous? We all pay taxes to cover basic needs such as roads, water service, transit etc... What is actually ridiculous is how much of your taxes go toward road maintenance and expansion so that people can live the single-occupancy-vehicle lifestyle and avoid the icky bus at any cost...

I agree with you. I don't mind contributing to the public good through my property taxes. I just wanted to use the word "ridiculous" in a post to demonstrate the proper spelling of the word!