Jambands.ca

2008 Beijing Olympic Games

badams

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOLD MUTHAFUCKAZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48kg women's wrestling! :)

Finally bringing them home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see you've been catching up on taped events. Do not surf the net unless you want to know what else happened. I believe the wresting went down sometime in the wee hours of the morning. Same with rowing.

However, the men's 100 metre semi-final is live in 15 minutes and there's live soccer on: Brazil is tied with Cameroon going into extra time on TSN.

It's my bad.

I saw the replay too when I got up at 5:45 for work and caught tape-delayed action. I should have written in my earlier post: "I see you've been catching up on taped events too?."

I hate my day shift schedule 7am-7pm. At least we'll catch the men's 100 metre final live :)

I just don't want you to find out the results on the net' date=' since you are on the computer.

See Bolt cruise to an easy semi-final victory in a head-wind at 9.85? [/quote']

I ran a 9.89 last night but there were Cops involved.

I heard you jogged the last 50 metres and waved to your fans.

carol-huynh_190.jpg

Oh man, what a morning. I love my PVR :) Sat down and got to see the great rowing race for the silver. Great match in the wrestling too for the gold. Holy shit did i feel happy Huynh. What a class act. I don't know if it's the lack of sleep or my deep patriotism, but during the medal ceremony and our anthem I was a blubbering mess. Felt good, felt proud.

GO CANADA GO !!!

I wish the interviewers had some more positive questions when they interview our athletes. Fuck they can be annoying. Don't wreck the buzz man.

Bolt was NUTS! How can somebody "jog" to a 9.69 finish????? That final is gearing up to be incredible.

Edited by Guest

D'oh! I must have missed it and was thinking of the heats before when you could really see them easing up.

Damn, those short races are easy to miss when you're ff'ing the PVR :P I'll have to go back and watch again tonight.

I need a day off. ;)

The fascinating thing is that Bolt eased up in ALL his heats.

I'm not a big fan of Toronto Star's Chris Zelkovich, especially during the hockey season, but he's been good with his Olympic media critiques. I didn't watch NBC yesterday morning, but I find today's report regarding yesterday's 100 metre final coverage incredible:

Give CBC gold for live coverage of glamour event

August 17, 2008

Chris Zelkovich

The debate over showing Olympic events live or on tape has been raging for some time, practically as long as Bob Costas has been avoiding grey hair.

Considering the results, mainly NBC's record-setting ratings for the Beijing Games, it seems almost pointless to knock the network's plan. In fact, delaying things by a few hours on a weekday makes some sense in maximizing the prime-time audience.

But tape-delaying the biggest event of the Olympics, the men's 100 metres race, by almost 12 hours on a Saturday is not only disingenuous, it smacks of thinking from another century. And I don't mean the 20th century.

While Usain Bolt was shattering the world record around 10:30 yesterday morning, NBC was showing the U.S.-Spain basketball game. While interest in the so-called Redeem Team is high, surely NBC could have broken into it for the race.

Instead, it ignored the glamour event of the Games and ran a promo for its night-time coverage. Included in the promo was a nice feature on American sprinter Tyson Gay.

What that feature didn't mention, of course, was that Gay had already been eliminated in the semifinal and that Bolt had already won the event NBC was promoting.

That, of course, would have spoiled NBC's perfectly packaged coverage.

On a day when Bolt's victory would be all over newscasts and websites instantly, it seemed like a silly decision indeed.

That's why CBC's live-first philosophy (usually, anyway) won the day.

It wasn't good just because it was live, either.

The network did a great job of setting up the race. Olympic champion Donovan Bailey was candid and predicted that Bolt would not only win easily but would be under 9.7, which he did (9.69).

``Usain Bolt will have to fall on his face to lose," Bailey said.

Track crew Mark Lee, David Moorcroft and Michael Smith then entered into a great discussion in the final call room, where sprinters wait to enter the stadium.

"At this point, you have no friends, only enemies," said Moorcroft.

Then Lee, who has been a little understated so far, hit all the right notes at the right pitch in a race that requires an economy of words: "Big strides, full speed, winning easily. Stopping the clock in a world record, 9.68 (later rounded up). No man has ever run that fast on the planet. Sensational."

Post-race coverage was equally solid, with a minimum of blather during the celebrations.

As amazing as Bolt's time was, Smith perceptively noted that the Jamaican had dragged his toe out of the blocks and probably cost himself as much time as his premature chest-thumping did.

It was all good, and all live, too.