Jambands.ca

Google launching web browser

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller
Chrome to launch on Tuesday. Is there no end to Google's Axis like expansion across the internet world? Microsoft is probably preparing for warfare while Firefox must just be weeping at the prospect of getting steamrolled by Google for marketshare in internet browser applications.

Downloaded and writing this post using it. So far it looks nice but there's an immediate problem: The track pad on my laptop doesn't work all that well regarding scrolling. You can scroll down but not up (using the side of the pad, most laptops you can slide your finger up and down to scroll up and down).

Other than that it seems to me to be a different version of firefox basically. We shall see.

I submitted a bug report about it. Don't uninstall, submit bug report, it'll get fixed. I've been playing and it's kinda neat.

The start page is alright but I wish there was a way to erase something on there or replace it with another page so that you could setup the ones you want there.

I'll keep playing with it. It's got some new features that I actually really like. Steph and I use the same computer and for some sites like facebook, we both have our passwords saved. Not only was it able to import the saved passwords, unlike firefox you just have to start typing the username in the box and it will automatically autofill (rather than a drop-down where you can choose, it will autofill the username and switch passwords).

Interesting article about the fine print

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."

I don't much like that. Like some guy said in a message at the bottom of the article, does this mean that if you send a picture or private info via email and then check that on the web using chrome, you've given permission for google to display that? Not good, not good.

Why reinvent the wheel?

Well, the first wheel was metal or wood or something like that. After a while they decided to reinvent it using rubber which proved to be much better traction and safety wise.

Edited by Guest

Guest Low Roller

I'm playing around with Chrome right now and the one thing I can point out right away is that it is less of a resource hog than IE7. My home PC is pretty challenged for RAM right now, and YouTube vids were all choppy on IE7, but run smooth on Chrome.

Scrolling is not an issue for me either.

So far colour me cautiously impressed.

firefox 3 has never crashed on me to my knowledge. If one is having memory woes then unfortunately it's not the software's problem, it's the ancient technology said person is running that is the problem. Newer sites and newer applications require more and more memory. In other words, upgrade your ram. Don't dare bitch and complain either, it's not even expensive to upgrade anymore and if it is because the pc you're running is too old, get a new one, it's not even expensive to do that.

Talk dirty about firefox will ya? That'll learn ya!!!

• 2 weeks later...