Jambands.ca

Should there be a law requiring people to vote?

bradm

I was watching CBC Newsworld this morning, and their "Question of the Day" is: Should there be a law requiring Canadians to vote?

I say there shouldn't be, as it takes far too limited a vision of democracy (broadly, "more people voting = better democracy"), and I don't see how requiring only that every (eligible) person show up at a certain place on a certain day and put a piece of paper in a box will make for a better society. (In fact, I don't think it will make for a better society at all, not just won't make for a society that's better enough to outweight the downsides.)

Your thoughts, comments, and answers would be appreciated, but aren't required. ;)

Aloha,

BRAD (Broad Ruminations About Democracy)

Then maybe it would have to be a referendum question in which the people of Canada are polled and we go with the majority's response.

I don't think it will do us much good to force everyone to vote though. I assume the majority who don't, don't follow politics and have no idea as to what drives policy, who stands for what, etc. If this much is true, really the only major change to come out of it will be driving the cost of an election up ten fold.

it's an interesting topic, and one I haven't fully thought about. For now I'll just disagree with you on everything :)

Some stuff from Wikipedia (search for Compulsory Voting). Interesting comments there about how it can infringe on religious rights, etc.

There are currently 32 countries with compulsory voting. Of these, 19 enforce it. Of the 30 member states of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development 10 have forms of compulsory voting.[2]

Countries that enforce compulsory voting:

* Argentina (compulsory for citizens between 18 and 70 years old, non-compulsory for those older than 70)

* Australia (compulsory enrolment and voting for both state* and national elections)

* Belgium

* Brazil (non-compulsory for citizens between 16 and 18 years old and those older than 70; military conscripts cannot vote)

* Chile (enrolment voluntary)

* Cyprus

* Democratic Republic of the Congo

* Ecuador (compulsory for citizens between 18 and 64 years old, non-compulsory for those older than 65)

* Fiji

* Lebanon (compulsory for men older than 21)

* Liechtenstein

* Nauru

* Peru (compulsory for citizens between 18 and 70 years old, non-compulsory for those older than 70)

* Singapore

* Switzerland (compulsory in the Canton of Schaffhausen only)

* Turkey

* Uruguay

*In South Australia it is not compulsory to enroll for state elections.[3][4][5] Nevertheless, as the enrollment form is a combined Federal and State one, with no provision to not enroll for the State,[3] it is compulsory in effect.

Countries that do not enforce compulsory voting:

* Bolivia

* Costa Rica

* Dominican Republic (members of the military and national police cannot vote)

* Egypt (men only)

* El Salvador

* France (Senate elections only)

* Gabon

* Greece

* Guatemala (military personnel cannot vote)

* Honduras

* India

* Italy

* Luxembourg

* Mexico

* Panama

* Paraguay (compulsory for citizens between 18 and 75 years old, non-compulsory for those older than 75)

* Philippines

* Thailand

* Venezuela

No, but there's gotta be a step one, right?

it's an interesting topic, and one I haven't fully thought about. For now I'll just disagree with you on everything

:) Sounds lovely!

Do you know how they enforce compulsory voting? Do you get a fine in the mail if your name didn't show up on the voting list? Kinda seems costly if you don't know how much actual 'good' it will do.

I wonder though, if people were forced to vote, would they start following politics or would they show up and scribble all over the ballot?

Do you know how they enforce compulsory voting? Do you get a fine in the mail if your name didn't show up on the voting list?

i know (at least i think i know) for Australia you can't renew your drivers licence if there is a record of you not voting. kind of like how here you can't renew your licence if you have outstanding tickets or fines. there are probably other ways to 'enforce' for those that don't drive.