Jambands.ca

Toast - Quebec City

Ms.Huxtable

While in Quebec City, bouche and I decided to treat ourselves to a gastronomic experience.

We decided on Toast. It turned out to be the most expensive dinner we've had to date and certainly the most experimental. I was in heaven.

Our meal started with the Toast! Martini and a roasted pepper and soft cheese amuse bouche.

We ordered a bottle of wine and it arrived with a wonderful bread selection served with a nutty olive oil and fleur du sel.

My appetizer was beef bone marrow served on a foamed consomme. I scooped out the jelly-like marrow, soaked up the consomme with bread and the bite wasn't like anything I've ever had before. It was absolute perfection.

Mike's appetizer was beef and tuna carpaccio with frois gras. My bite was unbelievable.

My entree was the night's special. Sweetbreads (thymus glands), seared scallops and an 18oz piece of pan fried frois gras. It was served with a corn foam and a wild mushroom medley. My foodie friends, I can tell you this was such an amazing experience for me. Everything melted in my mouth and I savoured every moment of it.

Mike's entree was off the menu, rabbit stuffed with blood sausage. The rabbit leg was wrapped in bacon. It topped handmade gnocchi, braised shoulder and crispy lard. Unbelievable.

Our cheese course followed. Mine was the grilled St. Barnabe cheese with daisy capers. I forgot until it arrived that I am not a fan of this cheese. I have a very bad association with it, so no fault to the restaurant that I did not enjoy this course. I'm sure they did it wonderfully, I just gag at that scent and taste.

Mike's cheese course was oven roasted bouquetin with a nut bread and truffle oil. It was lovely.

At this point we were full beyond belief. I can't recall ever being that full. The thought of dessert was actually painful. But it arrived and we ate it with a wonderful dessert wine.

Dessert for me was a souffle that was big and fluffy and melted like air in my mouth. I finished the entire thing. It was served with cedar flavoured ice cream. I wasn't sure I'd like that, but it was very, very good.

Mike had a dessert risotto with roasted fruit flambe. The risotto arrived at the table first then the waiter returned with the booze drenched fruit flaming as he poured it into the bowl. He topped it off with a crumble topping. It looked and tasted most impressive.

The bill arrived with a chef's morsel. It was a citrus jelly square that took our mind off the fact that the dinner cost the same as my first car.

VERY HIGHLY recommended. But I suggest not eating for two days prior to your reservation. Although everything was top notch, I left feeling as stuffed as the poor ducks we feasted upon. I think I waddled out of the restaurant like them to. ;)

That sounds amazing. That resto has a great reputation which it sounds like it lived up to.

And it must be said...Sweetbreads are way underrated. The last ones I had were at Les Fougeres and were pan-fried and in a salad with duck fat roasted potatoes and blue cheese.

Fack, I would make love to sweetbreads if they were a woman.

Damn.... That sounds great!

I have served Sweetbreads in a few of the restaurants I have served at over the years, but I have only tasted them just once. A chef took pity on the servers and served up a tiny portion each. I have been craving it ever since.

That meal sounds like heaven. I have never seen a dessert risotto!