Jambands.ca

itunes issue - no songs in it anymore

backbacon

Hm.. just opened it up.. used to have about a month and a half music in there.. various playlists, including various couples' wedding collections etc. Now not one song. Hey, wha happened?

Can I do anything to revert to what was there, like, yesterday.

[i did recently install Windows XP sp 3... this the issue? I installed that before this itunes problem. Pretty sure itunes was fine after that.]

This happened to my girlfriend a little while ago, although she has a Mac. I poked around online and found that it had happened to other Mac users as well. I'm not sure why, but dragging the iTunes desktop icon to the trash and opening it up via the "applications" folder instead seemed to fix the problem.

that's on a mac.

go check your 'my music' folder under your logged in account and see if there is any itunes music in there.

if you've created a new account and logged in under the new one, you'll have an empty 'my music' folder. check out the 'documents and settings' folder and see how many accounts you have set up. One of them should have your iTunes stuff.

maybe the path to your library file got changed

search for files name 'iTunes library.itl' and 'itunes music library.xml'

then in itunes go to edit | preferences | advanced. in the top part of the window, under 'itunes music folder location' there will be a path to your library. if this isn't the same as the path to the itl and xml files, hit the 'change' button and browse to the correct path.

try that and then report back if it didn't help at all

Earlier today I went to where the xml and itl files are located and changed the name slightly. I reopened itunes and it created new files. I think I may have updated itunes recently.. can't remember. I'm running version 7.1.1.5.

I just now searched my entire computer and found on my internal secondary drive a set of xml and itl from June. So, that's better than nothing. The most recent files must have been overwritten when I updated, I guess. Not sure why I would have changed locations in June though.

Thanks for the help all.