Jambands.ca

Live country music tonight in Hamilton with $100, Espanola and Rae Billing.

kc

CHECK THIS OUT!!

100dollarsposter-1JPEG.jpg

$100

http://www.myspace.com/1hundreddollars

"$100's Simone Schmidt sings tough tales through grit teeth, slipping serious stories into these songs as earthy experience is couched in country music's common concerns." - Soundscapesmusic.com

ESPANOLA

http://www.myspace.com/espanolamusic

Aaron Goldstein - vocals, guitar

Cam Malcolm - bass

Adam Melnick - piano, B3

Bryce Clark - drums

Special Guest: Dan Griffin: guitar, vocals

RAE BILLING http://www.raebilling.com/

“And it is a stellar recording in which the ‘alt’ nature of Rae’s music is especially apparent on “No Closer,†which follows in the footsteps of Gram Parson’s “Sin City†to create a riveting commentary on the times, and “Shatter,†which peals back the skin to reveal a small agony. On “The Dream†Garth Hudson (The Band) lends his trembling Rhodes accompaniment and the song is beautifully dark and spacious. “Superb stuff,â€" Kerry Doole, Exclaim Magazine

$8, Starts at 10pm.

FRIDAY, JAN.16TH, 2009

Pepper Jack's

38 King William St. Hamilton

(905)525-6666

www.pepperjackcafe.com

$100 in the Toronto Star

Unlike, say, Jessica Simpson, Toronto's One Hundred Dollars plays country music that's raw, real and grounded in informed portraits of down-and-out humanity instead of pandering hillbilly stereotypes.

Naturally, then, emerging grassroots acclaim for the sextet's lingering, literate debut, Forest of Tears, has been fostered by the support of such homegrown indie-rock pillars as Fucked Up auteur Rick White.

Who are these people? One Hundred Dollars was born less than two years ago when untested singer/lyricist Simone Schmidt serenaded Ian Russell – formerly of Jon Rae and the River – with an original composition over the phone. They started writing songs together and doing shows as a duo and then as a trio with ace pedal-steel player Stew Crookes and quietly issued an EP titled Hold It Together last year. Drummer Dave Clarke and Russell's fellow River cast-offs Paul Mortimer (bass) and Jonathan Adjemian (organ) were hastily recruited to round out the band last winter after White was sweet-talked into manning the boards for the single, 13-hour session at an old schoolhouse near Orangeville that birthed Forest of Tears. --Ben Rayner

Edited by Guest

Actually Mike Ventimiglia is gonna be in Europe with his band the Mississippi Kings...so instead I've got Dan Griffin playing guitar with me that night. And Espanola was officially the last band I had where I didn't lug the pedal steel to the gigs...but that's over now, I'm gonna sing part of the set from behind the steel. We just rehearsed all weekend, it's gonna be a blast!