Jambands.ca

Vancouver bylaw says 'no dancing'

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

Vancouver bylaw says 'no dancing'

VANCOUVER - A seemingly outdated bylaw in Vancouver has resurfaced and become a thorn in the side of some local restaurants.

The bylaw dates from about 15 years ago and specifies that for certain designated restaurants, it's against the law to use amplified instruments or to have more than two performers on stage at the same time. It also forbids dancing. Violators are fined $2,000.

City Councillor and arts supporter Jim Green says the bylaw makes no sense.

"Two mimes are OK but three mimes are too noisy?" Green asked at a recent council meeting. "Also, it's against the law to dance. I mean, how noisy is dancing?"

In the past few months, several establishments have received warnings from city bylaw enforcement officers that they were breaking the law. It's unknown who lodged the initial complaint to the city.

A group of musicians, spoken word artists and café owners have launched a campaign to remove the bylaw from the city's books.

"We have had music for five years," said Cottage Bistro owner Eugene Dong. "We never have any complaints and never had any problems from the police."

Singer Sarah Cheevers says that, in fact, the welcoming atmosphere generated by performers has helped improve the neighbourhood.

"Five, 10 years ago, this place had a lot more crime," Cheevers said. "Since there's been entertainment here, people are more willing to venture out into their communities.

City council will begin a review of the bylaw, which even Mayor Larry Campbell has admitted is bad, Thursday.

"Tungsten, for the good of humanity you should change your signature. That's bloody evil."

Ten bucks says Velvet was dancing in his seat during that. Good thing he wasnt in Vancouver.

MAN, I would love to have filmed watching Velvet go through that (well, what is in my head anyways). It would be my new avatar!

Archived